Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
choosing fabric for next project >

choosing fabric for next project

choosing fabric for next project

Old 03-10-2016, 05:01 AM

I think it might be easier if you selected a pattern first then decide which of these work and which don't. I think all the fabrics contrast well together. The modern and the paisley definitely can be used together.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 AM

To me fabric colours can be personal choice, I made a textbook blend of colours quilt for a friend with shades of cream, beige, green and brown, but because they were not colours I would choose it didn't 'Sing' to me. However it was absolutely perfect for my friend. I tend to pick a pattern first and then apply my own interpretation of colours, what I like may not suit you and vice versa.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

It depends on the pattern I have in mind. I would choose between the paisley or square dots. then pull my color choices from there.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 AM

For me, the process usually starts with a pattern, and the pattern guides the choice of fabrics.

I found Jinny Beyer's method of choosing fabric helpful (which she talks about in her book on hand quilting). She says, make sure you have several shades of each color you want to work with, have a color that is darker than all the others, have a color that is brighter than all the others, and include some neutrals. Going by that, I would say, maybe add a black to your colors as the neutral, and some lighter shades of blue and purple.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:52 AM

I really like the 4 "above", but would leave out the "polka-dot" red. Lovely fabric! Glad you found "us"!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

You do realize that most of us are women and you are going to get as many answers as there are stars in the universe.

I make a lot of charity quilts for teenagers and babies and I love your wild colors of squares and I would pick mostly tonals from that print. I don't think that the strip or the paisley have anything to add to the mix. It helps a lot if you have a pattern chosen first. I could see print used with Warm Wishes with different colors used. If you are a newbie, choice a simple pattern that you have confidence in making.
Attached Thumbnails warm-wishes.jpg  
Old 03-10-2016, 08:59 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
It depends on the pattern I have in mind. I would choose between the paisley or square dots. then pull my color choices from there.
This is basically what I do also as I seem to be a bit color challenged too. I find a printed fabric I like then use the colors in that fabric to choose fabrics that go together. There are times I don't even end up using the original print but at least I now have fabrics that go together ..... most of the time!!!

And by the way, welcome to the board. It's great that you found us since you don't have people around you to share your quilting with. Lots of great info and advice here. Everyone seems to be willing to share their experiences and ideas. Good luck with your quilting!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the hints! Now I will think about the pattern so I can finalize my color choice..maybe add a couple of colors or taking off something..I will try a small project to see if it works. But now I know a little bit more info about how to choose.
Thanks a lot to share your experience !
Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You do realize that most of us are women and you are going to get as many answers as there are stars in the universe.

I make a lot of charity quilts for teenagers and babies and I love your wild colors of squares and I would pick mostly tonals from that print. I don't think that the strip or the paisley have anything to add to the mix. It helps a lot if you have a pattern chosen first. I could see print used with Warm Wishes with different colors used. If you are a newbie, choice a simple pattern that you have confidence in making.
Thanks a lot! I love the pattern you showed me and I will probably do it as a babyquilt as soon as I will do another one.
I would like to do a wall hanging and maybe dare to try some curves or some applique, but I will try on small samples before taking the final decision...so, if I am not ready I can wait a little bit.
I love that fabric too!! It was love at the first sight and I choose the other accordingly. The light blue has the exact same color of the little blu squares...and the purple is less dark than it seems on picture.

P.s. My husband laughed when I read him the first sentence...I think he agrees with you ;-)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:49 AM

I like the four on the top together. But the red one with the squares somehow seems wrong to me. Kinda like the pattern is fighting with the paisley. I would pull one of them out and replace it with one or two others. If it were me... If I used the paisley, I'd add in a solid navy or black (whatever that dark color is in the paisley) and maybe a tiny tiny bit of yellow (I think that's the other color in the pattern???) and even some white to compliment. If I added the red, i think I'd put in a darker shade of blue.