Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing fabrics >

Choosing fabrics

Choosing fabrics

Old 02-21-2016, 01:59 PM

I'm pretty much just using "gut feeling" when choosing colours. I look at my stash, pick a few fabrics I think might go together and then just try to picture before "my inner eye" what would look best. Okay, sometimes the result is not all that great, but most of the time I like my colour combinations!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:43 AM

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum, only being quilting for a few years on, and off depending whats going on in my life, I'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one who takes a long time to pick material, i just love walking around a material shop, looking at all the colours and patterns. I have made a few quilts one my bust friend and grandchildren but never for myself. i will one day.​
Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 AM

The worst part about choosing fabrics/colors for me - not unlike when I go clothes shopping - I get something in my head that I want (color/scale/etc.) and it doesn't exist! So frustrating. So then I wander the shops for hours trying to come up with something similar that will satisfy my brain.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:38 AM

Believe me you are not alone. I think I take more time picking out the pattern, then the fabrics only to change my mine a couple time and then go right back to my 1st plan. This takes me more time than making the quilt itself I think. Then comes the choosing of the quilting patterns. I can't tell you how many times I'll have my layout all figured out only to come back and change a couple of times. Just did this the other day for a bargello I have hanging on the rack. Thought to do an E2E and then just recently decided to do the border separately. Now I'm thinking of going back to the original plan.

So you see, you're not alone by any means.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 AM

I rely on my sister Donna, she does not sew but has a GOOD eye for color and hues, I tease her that I an going torent her out
Old 02-23-2016, 06:58 AM

Sometimes it can take a lot of time to choose, especially if you have a perfectionist living in your brain (LOL). I say just enjoy the time fooling around with colors. Trust your gut and you'll know when you get it the way you want it. It's just part of the process.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I love picking out colors. Sometimes it comes easy for a quilter and sometimes it doesn't. I am sure that you did a good job with your color choices.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 AM

It takes me a while, too, but I enjoy the process. If something color wise or print wise bothers me now, it will always bother me, because fabrics give you a feeling. It's like an author who drafts and revises to find just the right words. I play at it till I get that feeling that's both peace and joy. Then I start cutting.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 AM

It takes me a long time too. I start with an idea for a project (right now it is a small quilt for my sister to remind her of our Yellowstone trip), I'll look for something in a magazine to start(this in itself takes awhile), then the fabric choosing begins. I'll look at my stash, pull a few things out, put my choices down and think about it. The thinking part may be hours or days. I'll come back, look through my stash again, maybe choose some different options, maybe add to what I have, put it down and think about it again...maybe hours or days again depending on what else is on my plate...but I'm always thinking about it...."what about that maroon I have.....". I have been working on this for over a month as now I'm trying to figure out how to lay it out. The color choices aren't done yet though, so after I figure out the layout I'll need to look for more fabric to coordinate. A very drawn out process for me and it doesn't help that my stash is extensively from moving sales, estate sales etc. so nothing came in the house matching. No full lines of fabric here. I was fortunate a few years back to go to the sale of a lady who passed away and had owned a quilt store. Her house was filled to the brim with gorgeous fabrics and I picked up a ton of my current stash from that. But yes, it takes me forever to choose fabrics for a project.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I only use the fabric colors I like together. I choose by contrast more then color. Many times a fabric that does not look acceptable at all at first look blends perfectly once used. I don't spend much time trying to be matchy, if I do my quilt lacks a spark.