Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing when to comment on a thread >

Choosing when to comment on a thread

Choosing when to comment on a thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=Manalto;7381308][QUOTE=Stitchnripper;7381280] If I'm thinking "I don't have an answer for you",or "sorry, can't help" I don't post.

What totally baffles me is those that do.
When they say they can't help, etc, but followed by something nice, that is refreshing. The comments that get me are something like: "I am having trouble with my Babylock", and someone will make a comment like "I don't have a Babylock, I own a Bernina." And????? Or someone asking for help with say a product for applique and a comment is made saying "I don't do applique". If you can't help, why make a comment? Is it to make post numbers higher? Is that a status thing maybe? Why are those numbers there, anyway? Just curious.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=Manalto;7381308][QUOTE=Stitchnripper;7381280] If I'm thinking "I don't have an answer for you",or "sorry, can't help" I don't post.

What totally baffles me is those that do.
Not only does it baffle me when I read "I don't have an answer" or Sorry, I can't help", I almost get upset. It's wasting my time when I read those that say nothing but that they aren't going to say anything! ! ! !
Old 11-19-2015, 08:47 PM

I mostly just absorb all the information on the board everyday. I'll pm a question to someone if I need help. What gets me is seeing a comment made on each and every post whether it be a question, a picture, something about antiques, the sky, a car, a color.......all by the same people or person lol

Last edited by oldtisme; 11-19-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Adding comment
Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=maviskw;7381579][QUOTE=Manalto;7381308]
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
If I'm thinking "I don't have an answer for you",or "sorry, can't help" I don't post.

Not only does it baffle me when I read "I don't have an answer" or Sorry, I can't help", I almost get upset. It's wasting my time when I read those that say nothing but that they aren't going to say anything! ! ! !
I'm sure the intent isn't to waste your time. I don't usually post when I can't help, but sometimes it's justified. I don't like new members to feel like they're being ignored, so if the view count on a thread is high but there are no replies, I will post just so the original poster knows I'm not just shunning them. Posting to these threads also keeps them on the first page, so there is a greater chance that someone with an answer will see the question.

I rarely do this, but I'm not bothered when other people do. If I'm feeling really lost, sometimes reading "sorry, I can't help" is more comforting than echoing silence.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:04 PM

I read as many posts as I can in the time I have available. I love reading the main section, looking at the pictures that have been posted, checking out the in search of section and the posts made by new members. I do not open those that related to the word games but I do open the ones in this section with other topics. I make comments if I have knowledge of the subject being addressed or if I really like the item someone has posted a picture of. I really don't pay that much attention to who make the post as I do to the topic being addressed.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:49 PM

my process is serendipitous.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 PM

I love reading the threads and all the comments. I reply if I have time or if I have some help I can give . I post and am grateful to those who reply as I live alone and only have my opinions frequently to go with.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Me too. If I'm thinking "I don't have an answer for you",or "sorry, can't help" I don't post. I don't look at posters either, just if like Onebyone, "if I have an opinion, know the answer or if the post interests me."
Me too. Also, I don't want to repeat what someone else has said if I am giving advice, so the number of replies will play into whether I choose to answer or not - I don't want to take the time to read every reply sometimes, so if I am in a hurry, I will not answer. The poster...rarely notice!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:49 AM

It depends on my mood. And the time I have. And whether I feel I have anything useful to say.

I'm often pressed for time, so I tend to scan the 'headlines' of the Main and General Chit Chat and see what tweaks my interest. I do read other bits of the board, but those are the main ones if rushed. I tend to also limit myself to the first 3 pages of threads, unless I have more time. I know that if I go into Pictures that is a rabbit-hole, so I do that if I know I can give it a reasonable amount of time.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:10 PM

My replies are totally random. Sort of like everything I do. lol.