Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas! >

Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas!

Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 PM

I have to agree with bearisgray on this. Christmas and any other holiday is so commerialized anymore, it's all about how much money they can get people to spend, instead of the real reason for that particular holiday. We think that Christmas is for kids, but even then they don't get everything they want. Give to a charity of your choice or to the person you're "gifting", then send that person a card stating that you gave x amount of money, food, etc., to the charity in their name.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:22 AM

Not being a Scrooge but why not have some fun too ? There are Plenty of charitible organizations that overflow with donations at the holidays. She wants to share the love with people in her immediate circle. Why not???

Perhaps adopt a charity or two and donate mid-year when donations are still needed and the giving has slowed??? The holidays take care of the "giving" mood more so than other times during the year. A friend of mine works at an organization that assists the poor. She once made a comment about food pantries in our county. "If you are hungry and cannot find food, you are not looking!". Our town-county generously supports the food pantries all year round.

Charitible giving is not a "seasonal " effort.

my gift idea, take some Timtex double sided fusible (or any stiff fusible) , iron on some holiday fabric, cut into shapes, punch a hole in it , insert a ribbon and now you have a quick and simple ornament! Embellish with trims, hot fix crystals, etc.

Sandy
Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
At the risk of sounding like Scrooge -

How about everyone that does a gift exchange collect money for a needy family or a favorite charity of a Food Shelf in the area instead of exchanging gifts?
This is what we did when I was working. I love the idea of helping someone less fortunate, and children especially. I liked doing this better than doing the co-worker gifting thing, I always got something that wasn't my style (or in the case of a candle--a scent I couldn't stand, so made me think it might be re-gifted). I might be a scrooge too, because I'd really rather be at home quilting or being with family than shopping and crafting for someone who won't really appreciate what you spent all that time doing for them (mostly because they have no idea of how much time is involved). I'll step down off my soapbox now.......You're welcome.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
At the risk of sounding like Scrooge -

How about everyone that does a gift exchange collect money for a needy family or a favorite charity of a Food Shelf in the area instead of exchanging gifts?
That is what we do. One year I received a tree planted in my name, another year a lamb. I give to the food bank, a cancer society,Toys for Tots, Blue Santa, and this year I am going to make quilts for wounded warriors and give them the picture of the quilt. Considering the time and cost,I figure 4 people per quilt.

Last edited by Pete; 06-10-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 AM

I agree about doing something for a charity. I belong to a ladies social group, we used to have a gift exchange. One year someone started the conversation about the gifts and it turned out many of us didn't want any gift. We have so much stuff and we were tossing the gift out or donating it. You can still share your love of crafting by making gifts for nursing home residents, group homes for children, etc. Look around, call around and you'll probably find a need for small gifts in your community.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

At so many of the gift exchanges at a group or at work, I've ended up with something that was so NOT something I would have bought or made for myself.

Maybe a cookie or bar exchange instead?

Items for a food shelf?

I realize I do not know the people or dynamics in the group you are talking about.

Sometimes receiving (or giving) "a little something" - like a mug rug - for a non-traditional holiday or "just because" such as the 4th of July is a lot more fun - and memorable - than piling in "one more thing" for the December holidays.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

When I worked at this one brokerage, we had a white elephant gift exchange. You didn't have to purchase new it could be a re-gifted gift. Every one got a number as they entered the door. All the gifts were put on a table. Number one got to choose a gift. Number two could choose a gift from the table or choose the one from number 1. If number 2 took number 1's gift then number 1 could choose another. If number 3 chose number 2 gift from number 1 then number 3's gift was retired and could not be chosen. Something like that. You could choose from the table or a number that hadn't been chosen twice already. After all was said and done you could trade. Depending on how many are going to be involved will determine how long the exchange would take. It usually went pretty quickly. No gift was suppose to me more than $10.00. Another would be a potluck and bring a canned good to donate. We also had $10.00 donations which could be in canned goods or gift card to a specific grocery store chain.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Not being a Scrooge but why not have some fun too ? There are Plenty of charitible organizations that overflow with donations at the holidays. She wants to share the love with people in her immediate circle. Why not???

Perhaps adopt a charity or two and donate mid-year when donations are still needed and the giving has slowed??? The holidays take care of the "giving" mood more so than other times during the year.

I could not agree more. I'm not sure why people always feel the pull to donate to charitable organizations only at the holiday season. I've had friends who volunteer at food pantries and the like and at this time of year they are BEGGING for donations, but at Christmas, people can't pile it in fast enough. If you want to do something to help others, then try helping them at times when others don't - like now, for instance.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:55 AM

One year I did what you suggested about donating to a good charity. I chose heifer Project to give farm animals or flocks to help folks all over the world feed themselves. It was well received by everyone. My family has grown up and increased in numbers with children grandchildren all grown and now seven great grandchildren all scattered over the world...and me, getting much older as well.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Why not a insulated lunch sack? There are many freebie patterns on line for them.