Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas! >

Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas!

Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Why not a insulated lunch sack? There are many freebie patterns on line for them.
Great idea for a co-worker oven if they don't bring lunch it's useful for snacks and drinks too.
Or a reusable coozy for disposable coffee cups.
do you often have pot lucks at work? If so how about an insulated dish carrier for hot or cold dishes
Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Although my preference is for charity giving as many have already mentioned, if you really want to make and give a useful gift I will put my "green" hat on and suggest making reuseable shopping tote bags and reuseable produce bags for the grocery store. I really try to avoid all plastic bags nowadays--both the carry out bags and the clear plastic produce bags to reduce trash. I made the produce bags with utility mesh fabric and colorful cord ties in various sizes and get complements on them every time I go to the grocery store.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
At the risk of sounding like Scrooge -

How about everyone that does a gift exchange collect money for a needy family or a favorite charity of a Food Shelf in the area instead of exchanging gifts?
__________________________________________________ ____________
We have a donation jar in our house for donations. We save up all our change and then turn it in once a year, donate it to a shelter (usually a rescue for animals) or split it for the homeless shelters for families and the rescues.
This year we gave to to the Great Dane Rescue and a local homeless shelter.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
This is what we did when I was working. I love the idea of helping someone less fortunate, and children especially. I liked doing this better than doing the co-worker gifting thing, I always got something that wasn't my style (or in the case of a candle--a scent I couldn't stand, so made me think it might be re-gifted). I might be a scrooge too, because I'd really rather be at home quilting or being with family than shopping and crafting for someone who won't really appreciate what you spent all that time doing for them (mostly because they have no idea of how much time is involved). I'll step down off my soapbox now.......You're welcome.
I just re-read what I wrote.....I do sound like a scrooge! Really I'm not (I don't think so, anyway). I am always thankful to be remembered at any time, especially the holidays with everything going on. I'm like a lot of us.....I just really don't need anything else, except maybe some fabric, but not to be mean I'd rather pick that out myself. When I worked, it was at a manufacturing plant with a lot of men and non-crafty-type women, so we drew names, and most of the time we got someone's name that we'd never worked with before, so we knew nothing about their likes or wants. That's why I said what I did.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 AM

A mini quilted stocking cap with their first name in glitter on the cuff. Picture this upside down with a pompom or tassel at the point and a festive ribbon to hang on the tree.

You could fill it with mini candy canes and mini chocolates.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM

I hope I didn't offend many people.....I do give to charities throughout the year and at Christmas I get together with the lady who runs the Neighborhood Services office to find a local family to provide Christmas for. I have 2 co-workers and the building janitor that I like to do a little 'happy' for. Not much, just some little something. As I said I made fabric bowls and just filled with candy last year. Maybe spent $4.00 on each....
Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 AM

I have made a lot of Christmas Yo- Yo-ornaments , I make the yo-yos from Christmas fabrics and sew some dangling beads to the bottom of them, and sew a ribbon hanger to them. I have all of the Clover Yo -yo forms and make up very quickly. and its endless of how you can decorate them.I also painted some with Modge Podge for fabrics, it dries to a shimmer.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 AM

The last year I was working I made quilted lunch bags, coaster sets, some photo frames and makeup bags for people in my department. I had three young men in my department. All big beer fans so they received a 6 pack and can socks made out of old blue jeans with their initials on them. I did not have a pattern but used a can to make my own pattern big enough to add a little batting to help keep the beer cool. A couple of the ladies ask if it would be OK to trade colors or designs but all kept the items I chose to make for them. One of the guys came to me to see if I would make more beer socks for his mom & dad to put in their RV. Those were made out of handkerchief blue and red fabric.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 AM

I think decorated dish towels or potholders are a nice gift. Everyone can use fresh ones, at least I can!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 AM

I LOVE this idea!

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That is what we do. One year I received a tree planted in my name, another year a lamb. I give to the food bank, a cancer society,Toys for Tots, Blue Santa, and this year I am going to make quilts for wounded warriors and give them the picture of the quilt. Considering the time and cost,I figure 4 people per quilt.