Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which class should I pick?!!! >

Which class should I pick?!!!

Which class should I pick?!!!

Old 06-28-2016, 05:31 AM

Let us know how you did with the Craftsy class of your choice. I too have the Bernina 350 and have not been successful with any quilting other than in the borders because of its very limited throat/work area. I've been machine quilting for over 35 years and this is the first machine (of many!) that I cannot use for quilting. Best ever for piecing, however.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
Let us know how you did with the Craftsy class of your choice. I too have the Bernina 350 and have not been successful with any quilting other than in the borders because of its very limited throat/work area. I've been machine quilting for over 35 years and this is the first machine (of many!) that I cannot use for quilting. Best ever for piecing, however.
Oh, so sad. I do FMQ on my 350 all the time. Nothing larger than twin size yet because I love working with high loft batting (Warm & Plush). I've fit a friend's Queen easily under my harp, but she used a wool batting -- you could use that, a wool-cotton blend, or a low-loft poly and still fit a Queen under the needle to FMQ. One of the things that really helps (besides getting machine bed flush with table top) is getting/making a suspension system. I made my own, but you can buy Quilt Suspenders ready made. Maybe give it a try sometime! Working on my 350 is the only way my quilts get quilted.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I'd take a Patsy Thompson class.

So, how can I get one of these free classes? On my phone, all I get is a % off coupon or such. Haven't seen an offer for this type of free class--?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I got the offer too and chose Scrap Quilting with Pepper Cory. She is wonderful and has an nice soothing voice. Some teachers are knowledgable but their voice or accent drives me nuts.

Enjoy your class! I love it when Craftsy does this.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:16 AM

patsy and cindy are my favorites out of the ones listed. Amy johnson would be the next after those 2 that you have listed
Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
From the classes on your list these three would be the ones I would choose as an intermediate quilter-
Design It, Quilt It: Free Form Techniques (Cindy Needham), really good use of stencils and marking to create planned free motion designs
Creative Free Motion Techniques (Lori Kennedy), love the way she builds motifs that i would have thought that i needed to draw or stencil before i took her class
Ultimate Free Motion Quilting (Patsy Thompson), could just quilt the fabric and never piece anything with her ideas, lots of colour
machine quilting with templates with kimmy brunner- not on your list but this class was very helpful to create designs with rulers (she calls them stencils) - she works on a long arm so it is about the designs you would need to know how to use the rulers with your machine already
I agree with this list and would recommend adding Christina Camelli to the list. I just love her approach to FMQ - very supportive!

Ones I would recommend to NOT take is Wendy Butler Burns and Angela Walters. Wendy is too much into herself - she loves to hear herself talk. Angela is talented but a little loosy-goosey for my taste. "Close is good enough" does not work with my work ethic.

As for a step-by-step FMQ, Debbie Brown is also excellent. She is a hand-quilter teacher.

Can you tell that I've taken a lot of craftsy classes?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:36 PM

First off, thank you all for your wonderful input! So many great choices. I went with Patsy Thompson's Ultimate Free Motion Quilting class. I've made it through the first chapter & I must say, it's quite good.

I was very, very tempted to try Cindy Needham's Design It, Quilt It class. It's 5 hours long (compared to Patsy's 3 hour class) & I know Cindy always gives very detailed helpful tips for how to achieve show-worthy results on your quilts. I think I'm going to be spending my next paycheck on that class because I really just couldn't decide between the two. I loved Cindy's class on AQS iQuilt so if this one is even close to as good, I'm sure it will be chock full of great tips!

There are so many other wonderful choices that you all mentioned. Martina, I agree about Angela Walter's classes. They remind me too much of the MSQC classes & if I wanted that style, I'd watch Jenny Doan for free. And especially thanks to Rob for all the details you included about the classes.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Help! I was gifted a free Craftsy class (up to $70 value) and don't know which one to pick (what a problem to have, right?).

I know I want a class either about FMQ on my DSM (Bernina 350 -- very basic machine) or maybe about hand quilting. I'm more interested in learning more techniques than having a specific project & I fit into the "Intermediate" category for FMQ, and "Beginner" for hand quilting.

Here are the ones I'm considering -- though I'm open to almost anything:

Creative Quilting with Your Walking Foot (Jacquie Gering)
Next Steps with Your Walking Foot (Jacquie Gering)
Quilting with Rulers on a Home Machine (Amy Johnson)
Free Motion & More Machine Quilting (Wendy Butler Berns)
Free Motion Fillers, vol 1 (Leah Day)
Machine Quilting Wholecloth Quilts (Cindy Needham)
Creative Free Motion Techniques (Lori Kennedy)
Design It, Quilt It: Free Form Techniques (Cindy Needham)
Hand Quilting (Andi Peredja)
Ultimate Free Motion Quilting (Patsy Thompson)
Ultimate Free Motion Feathers (Patsy Thompson)
Exploring Natural Machine Quilting Motifs (Linda Bratten)

Any "reviews" of classes you've taken, recommendations or wild-guess votes that you picked out of a hat are welcome.
I got the email from Joann fabrics with the free craftsy this morning. I signed up for the Hand Applique class.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I'd take a Patsy Thompson class.

So, how can I get one of these free classes? On my phone, all I get is a % off coupon or such. Haven't seen an offer for this type of free class--?
I don't know why I got it. I have purchased from Joann online but not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:23 PM

I've taken both of Cindy Needham's classes and they were great and she is an excellent teacher. Last week I took Andi Peredja's hand quilting class and found it very helpful even after 20 years of hand quilting. You have a great selection of classes to choose from, good luck.