Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions >

Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions

Color Blind Quilter Needs Some Suggestions

Old 05-29-2014, 04:20 PM

As strange as it may seem, I have no friends. Where I live in Alaska I have no neighbors and even after more then 12 yrs. of being here the only people I know are my husband, my kids, and my kids friends. The husband at times has fun with my color blindness and it doesn't bother me cause I know he means no harm, it's all in good fun. I wear very few colors for fear of looking like a clown. I stick with black, blue, and pink. My husband showed me what pink truly is and even though that isn't my idea of pink I still like it so I pick his pink which depending on the shade might be purple me s I buy my purple. Sounds strange I know but as far as I know it works. I had a guy stare at me at the gas station and literally followed me around and I got tired of his rudeness I asked him what his problem was. He told me h had never seen anyone wear pink jeans before. I was happy as a pig in mud, I actually picked out the right color, I wanted pink and pink is what I bought !!! Poor guy thought I was crazy...lol
Old 05-29-2014, 04:21 PM

Thank you so much !!!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 PM

Will do. Thank You...
Old 05-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Be proud of your work! Embrace being colorblind and don't let it hold you back - your "handicap" gives you a unique perspective on quilting. Quilt like you mean it and the rest will fall into place.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 PM

You are not alone. I have a wonderful friend who is also a quilter. She isn't color blind, she just "doesn't see colors". I don't really understand what that means, but she makes lovely quilts. She doesn't have much of a stash, she purchases enough fabric for her current project and that's it. Her way of handling it - she just asks whomever happens to be standing nearby if, in their opinion, this fabric goes with that fabric. She's never had anyone refuse to help and has made quite a few friends in the process.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM

Your friend is def. color blind she however has the most severe form of color blindness. Last night I received an email on this site asking me if I was sure I was color blind instead of maybe not knowing how to match colors. Perhaps I took it wrong, I don't think I did but I took it as an insult. I'm color blind not stupid. I took the time to look up the medical definition of color blindness and not being able to see colors at all is the most severe form. What I read is that color blindness in the simplest way of explain t is that color blind people tend to see colors in a limited range of hues and again the most severe see no colors at all. I have no problem asking for help but I think there may be a lot more people out there who don't know they are color blind.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 PM

Ott lights show truer color....like holding something up to a sunny window. They make a small, portable one that I carry in my purse for fabric shopping . It, of course, will not change the fact that you are colorblind but may help a little with matching fabrics. Over 90% of colorblind people are male. Females with colorblind fathers usually pass it on to their sons (my father was not as severely colorblind as my son is though) but being a colorblind female is not unheard of. I'm sorry it gives you trouble. You need to quilt what makes YOU happy. Don't worry about what others say "goes". Some people can be cruelly critical.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Thank you so much for explaining to me about the Ott Light, I am certainly going to seek one out and you are def. right in saying that some people can be cruelly critical I personally just have a difficult time understanding what one would get out of making such nasty remarks. Either way I think I am going to take your advice along with that of some of the others who had responded to this thread and quilt what makes "ME" happy. Thank you again....
Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 PM

I think you'd probably benefit by using EQ, you can view the patterns and the fabric to see how it looks. It comes with lots of fabric lines downloaded and there are lots more you can download too. The other thing I do is, I group fabrics together, take pictures and then study them a while. You say you don't go fabric hunting that often. Go to the store with what you have in mind to make, you can even use cardboard and cut out the outline of your patterns and lay it on the fabric to see kind of how it looks, take your camera. When you think you have what you want, take the pictures, go have lunch and then look at the pictures again and if you still like them, go back to the store and get them. I like doing my own thing which means even when doing BOM that comes with fabric, I end up buying lots more (like the civil war fabric) so that I can chose what I want. I get lots of compliments on my color choices and the way I put them together. The best compliment I get is like the one I got from my sister. I had picked out fabric to make a jacket and my daugher didn't like it, when I sent my sister it her comment was, it looks like you. I want what I make to reflect my style, rather its clothes or quilts. I do emb club and mine is always different because I have to go outside the box, its who I am. I hope some of this helped
Old 06-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes when people say "I am color-blind" what they really mean is that they don't have a very good sense of what goes with what - or other people don't like what they put together.

So - when someone says "I am color-blind" - and they really mean that they are unable to tell one color from another - people may not take it as a fact. Or have no way to identify with the condition.

I wonder if there are glasses or screens available that could help people with normal vision see things the same way a person with color-impairment does???

On the other hand, I wonder if there might be viewers or lenses that could add filters or something that could be worn like eye-glasses/spectacles that could add "color" to your world???

I sometimes say "I am blind" (or am asked "Are you blind?") when I don't locate/see something that is right in front of me in the refrigerator.

I don't have any suggestions for how to see something that you can't.