Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Comment about batting and a question >
  • Comment about batting and a question

• Comment about batting and a question

Old 06-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628
    I didnt realize that the batting is the soul of the quilt!

!
    I just love that line!
    Old 06-02-2014, 02:23 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    Quilters develop their own preference for battings. It is a matter of like/ dislike that is either learned by experience or by word of mouth from other quilters. IMHO pattern designers do not recommend batting because it may not be what the quilter likes or would use. I really like Hobbs 80/20 and do not like W&N or poly batting. But that does not mean that they are bad. Just my personal opinion. New quilters can learn from others on this board about +/- of battings. Also they can buy small amounts of batting and use it in wall hangings/baby quilts or table runners to see which on e they like. Also the batting can depend on how the quilt is being used.
    I AGREE. I myself have always prefer Hobbs 80/20 too. It does have a little poof while W&N is much heavier and flatter looking. There is a more expensive batting called Dream Cotton that hand and machine quilters prefer. I think pattern designers want quilter's to use what they prefer.
    Old 06-02-2014, 02:29 PM
    Power Poster

Good ? I will be watching for comments.
    peace
    Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 AM

When I'm making a really special quilt, I like to use wool batting if it'll be custom LAQ'ed. By chance, my LAQ'er posted my last finished quilt she worked on and it was noticed by a LAQ'er back east who is writing an article for a magazine. Permission was requested to use some photos from this quilt in her article. Wool batting sets off LAQ'ing quality and is worth the investment for that purpose (as well as the warmth and breathability of wool).
    I was quite surprised and pleased to be able to have a quilt featured in a LAQ magazine.
    Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 AM

To me instructions should include an approximate size needed but the type is up to the maker just like if they are using a fabric print that is different from the one pictured.
    Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 AM

This is a really interesting conversation. I use warm products most of the time...but for charity quilts, it will usually use poly.
    Old 06-03-2014, 08:05 AM

I have experimented with just about every batting type there is (but not every brand). Based on price and "drape", I commonly use warm & natural or Hobbs 80-20. For a luxurious feel, I like bamboo, for a little more loft and lightweight, I choose wool. I've got some silk blend that is waiting for a good opportunity. I cannot stand to touch polyester, nor do I like puffy, so I never buy it. One other thing I pay attention to is quilting distance and will choose Warm & Natural if I know I want something more sparsely quilted.
    Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. It was interesting to note that several wished that posters of pictures and the mags would tell us what the 'sandwich' insides were made of. Whether it was one or two-layered with what would be helpful as well.

I especially thank those of you that listed your batting preferences and why you made your choice.

Regards,
    Dray
    Old 06-03-2014, 04:00 PM

It is definitely a learning curve. When I first started quilting, I bought the cheap stuff at Walmart. They probably have better batting now. Back then it was this cheesy cotton batting with seeds particles and all. On top of that, I was hand quilting that quilt. 14 years later I finally finished it. I must say, cheap as that batting is, it is very warm. I do try different brands just to see how they drape when finished. Then I can't remember which I preferred when I need to buy more. Always a surprise when done.
    Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM

It would be nice if they specified what was in the demo/pictured quilt. It wouldn't need to be a recommendation, just information for that particular quilt. I choose batting according to what each particular quilt needs, but it would be helpful if they specified, "xxx was used in the quilt pictured" for reference.