Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Complex Piecing Issue. >

Complex Piecing Issue.

Complex Piecing Issue.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Ditto to drafting it out first ... the graph paper will help you do your proportional sizings.
Just be sure to remember to allow the seam allowances in your calculations.

..... When stitching together, I would probably do some partial seams to avoid extra seams.
It really is not that hard to do them ... just a bit of patience for the first couple and then
you will see how easy they go together.

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-26-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

As everyone else has suggested your best bet is to graph it out. I would actually make those two narrow lines that jut to the left and towards the bottom a bit of the unit below and next. your upper right hand unit will need to be set in also known as a Y seam. Here, I modified your picture in paint with one option of how to break it into units drawn in red. Because you said you have already pieced the center nesting squares your options are limited in how to break this out. [ATTACH=CONFIG]543521[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails trivet.jpg  
Old 02-26-2016, 06:58 AM

The trivet looks like it is made out of wood. You can do many different thinks with a saw that with fabric. Perhaps you might want to adjust the pattern to make the pieces easier to put together/ sew by eliminating a couple of the "bumps" in the corner. that probable will not effect the look of the quilt but may make it easier to sew.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:56 AM

Wow, that's an incredible design! I can see why you chose it. It does present some piecing challenges, but you've already gotten a lot of great suggestions here.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:05 AM

Graph paper drafting would be my choice. If the size of the finished product is relatively small I might use some of the fancy stitches on my machine or thread painting.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:31 AM

my first impulse was drafting w graph paper as mentioned by most here. then the response by quilterpurpledog made me rethink. yes ..i'd go to copy center or a mail box place as they all have nice copiers. i have my oversized patterns done for me at my ace mail center here locally as we don't have copy centers per sé. i am also a fan of difficult set in seams. after you have a copy at the size you want, draw the straight piecing seams as demonstrated by feline fantatics image. but instead of cutting off the offset areas i would do set-in seams for those areas. i love this design & i too think it resembles a frank lloyd wright design, definitely art deco. good luck w your project ..hope you are successfull and please do post a pic when finished!
Old 02-26-2016, 02:28 PM

My thought was the same as bigsister and the one with the red lines. I would get rid of the two small bumpouts and make them stop at the red line personally. I don't think it would change the look that much and the design would be much easier!
Old 02-27-2016, 04:05 AM

Pure Frank Lloyd Wright!
Love it! Can I steal it?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
My thought was the same as bigsister and the one with the red lines. I would get rid of the two small bump-outs and make them stop at the red line personally. I don't think it would change the look that much and the design would be much easier!
In my opinion ! ! ! the bump-outs need to be there. I would figure out a way to do it. Perhaps make more sections, as in more red lines. It wouldn't hurt to make sections stop at a different place, as at the end of the bump-out. Looking at it, I think there would need to be several more "sections", especially at the top right corner. The graph paper or enlargements will help out there. Just be sure to label everything before you cut it apart or you'll never get your Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Love that pattern. My husband would love it. He is a math PhD and loves all things gometric.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:15 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the positive comments and helpful advice. Thanks especially to feline fanatic for the red lines. Somehow, those tiny red lines made all the difference in my comprehension. So grateful. Long week at work and now a Saturday and Sunday with some graph paper! Will definitely post when I'm done piecing.

This sort of makes me want to drop some cash on EQ7.............