Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
considering treadle sewing machine purchase >

considering treadle sewing machine purchase

considering treadle sewing machine purchase

Old 03-16-2011, 11:03 PM

Have opportunity to buy "Automatic" brand treadle sewing machine in rather plain cabinet (no ornamentation or carving on the cabinet). Machine would need bobbins (don't know type yet), thorough cleaning, new belt (easy to find) & maybe more. Asking price $100.00 & we'd drive 75 miles 1 way to get it.
Anyone have ideas, suggestions for me - much appreciated. I know nothing about good treadle machines & the price on this one is within my budget. I realize its not a Singer, but am hoping this model/name is something one of you has heard before.
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Jan
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 PM

If you live by Billings this is the machine to go after.
http://billings.craigslist.org/atq/2232279646.html
Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
If you live by Billings this is the machine to go after.
http://billings.craigslist.org/atq/2232279646.html
I see what you mean. That is one beautiful machine.

I have read that when sewing machines first came out, they were literally manufactured in garages, which is probably the reason there was such a proliferation of names on the early machines. You will just have to look at the machine and make a decision as there are so many brands out there. But, I would definitely check out the one in Billings. It is beautiful and the frame looks to be in good shape.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM

I got my Red Eye Singer treadle for $40, which was a good deal. I didn't know a thing about them then, and still don't know much! I'd see if I can find any info on the internet about that brand. The good thing about most of those old machines is that there are few parts to wear out. It will probably need a good cleaning, inside and out. Mine needed a new belt, which I found on eBay for just a few dollars. I looked at Billy's (Lostn51) tutorial on cleaning, and found a manual online to figure out how to take it apart and where to oil it. It sews like a dream now. I would PM Billy to get his input. I think I would offer them less than they're asking, depending on how much work it will take to clean, refinish, or repair.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 AM

I've heard of it. I have a Domestic (that's the brand) treadle and just love it. Paid $120 for it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by greaterexp
I got my Red Eye Singer treadle for $40, which was a good deal. I didn't know a thing about them then, and still don't know much! I'd see if I can find any info on the internet about that brand. The good thing about most of those old machines is that there are few parts to wear out. It will probably need a good cleaning, inside and out. Mine needed a new belt, which I found on eBay for just a few dollars. I looked at Billy's (Lostn51) tutorial on cleaning, and found a manual online to figure out how to take it apart and where to oil it. It sews like a dream now. I would PM Billy to get his input. I think I would offer them less than they're asking, depending on how much work it will take to clean, refinish, or repair.
I suggest that for those just wanting their first treadle to find a Singer 66, or 15-89/90 since the parts are easy to find and the needle used for these machine are the standard 15x1. These machines are easy to used, easy to self service and maintain, and are great workhorses that sew through almost anything. Great for hemming jeans too. If you want a machine for quilting they are great for this too. Just start with straight stitch quilting. For FM quilting the 15-89/90 are better than the 66s. And if you ever see a 201 in a treadle, buy it! My favorite machine for sewing clothes and quilt piecing is my 201 in a treadle. I love that machine!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I suggest that for those just wanting their first treadle to find a Singer 66, or 15-89/90 since the parts are easy to find and the needle used for these machine are the standard 15x1.
I second this, especially for someone new to refurbishing. Some of the antique brands are nearly impossible to outfit with replacement parts or needles or bobbins. It's possible that this Automatic is a copy of one of the commonly-available machines and uses parts that you can buy anywhere, but you should be sure of it before you buy the machine. (unless you're buying it as a decorative piece and not for sewing?)

The 15 would be my preference because of it's ability of FMQ, but a 201 or 66 would also be great and so would a 27/127 or a 28/128. The long bobbins on the latter (Vibrating Shuttle - VS) machines don't hold as much thread as they others, but they are good strong machines and parts are easy to find and cheap. They can also have absolutely gorgeous paint jobs. :)

Any of them will be lovely for piecing, applying binding, sewing garments, etc. Any of them will plow through just about anything you can get under the presser foot.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks to each of you who posted re: my treadle sewing machine search. I'm leaning towards the Singer 66 or 15-89/90, so I may have to wait a while for one to surface.
My main issue with the nice one someone found for me on Craig's List is the distance - almost 8 hours 1 way to Billings to retrieve it. Montana is a big state. Most of the time living in a rural area is great; however, finding treasures is more slim because of the sparse population & distance to get to a larger city. Billings is in SE Montana; we're in NW Montana. :+(
I'll keep looking.
Happy stitching everyone,
Jan
montanajan
Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Thanks to each of you who posted re: my treadle sewing machine search. I'm leaning towards the Singer 66 or 15-89/90, so I may have to wait a while for one to surface.
My main issue with the nice one someone found for me on Craig's List is the distance - almost 8 hours 1 way to Billings to retrieve it. Montana is a big state. Most of the time living in a rural area is great; however, finding treasures is more slim because of the sparse population & distance to get to a larger city. Billings is in SE Montana; we're in NW Montana. :+(
I'll keep looking.
Happy stitching everyone,
Jan
montanajan
Didn't know where you lived. That would be too long a drive. Your machine is there for you; somehow the machine finds you. :) have fun hunting and waiting!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:30 PM

Oh wow,
I was trying to find out information on the very same machine. I live in oregon and also would have to drive 100 plus miles to get a look at it. I understand that the one I am considering sews but needs cleaning and possibly a belt.
Still trying to find out more info and waiting to hear back from the gal who has it for sale. I do not think that she knows anything other than the fact that it has New Automatic stamped on it.