Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Corduroy anyone? >

Corduroy anyone?

Corduroy anyone?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 AM

Ive been thinking of mixing corduroy, denim, and twill for a picnic type blanket. I have pieces of these fabrics, but not enough for anything but patchwork. I think the texture of corduroy would be wonderful in a quilt.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Corduroy makes a heavy quilt. I've used it in quilts for dogs where I used 1/2" or larger seams ... and I made one rag quilt with corduroy but it didn't work out so well because the edges didn't ravel like cotton or denim. But give it a try; your idea may turn out better than my experience.
I too tried it in dog quilts. Just didn't like trying to quilt them. I gave the rest of my corduroy away to charity. Smaller wale corduroy might be slightly lighter in weight and much softer in texture. You are not going to find any pre-cut charms but you never know, look on eBay!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:01 PM

I can't wait to see your final choice. I have a pile of fine wale soft cord that I have saved for years from my Mother's stash and my own.....Never have found my inspiration(or time).
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

mine was fine wale corduroy. it's the red print here.
Attached Thumbnails corduroy-front.jpg  
Old 10-15-2014, 02:42 PM

When my children were little, I bought a bunch of remnants of corduroy. The pieces were big enough to make a pair of pants for small boys. Life got in the way, boys grew and the corduroy didn't get used. So I passed them on to friend whose children were younger than mine. She made the most beautiful quilt out of those pieces. She made a King's Crown that was outstanding. I believe she tied rather than quilted it and they used it on their bed for more than 30 years. It was heavy and warm and especially welcome when they lived in Chicagoland.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I've used corduroy in quilts, I love it. I made one just a patchwork, 6" squares of corduroys, denim and flannels, it is one of my favorite quilts, flannel backing & Hobbs 80/20 batting. I've used corduroy in pieced blocks with flannels and homespuns. Great textures warm & cozy quilts! I've also used Corduroy's in raggy quilts and as appliques. A great place to find a variety of corduroys from pinwale to thick waled and lots of colors/prints is thrift shops. Skirts, pants and jackets, I found a great bright red corduroy shirt one time for 50¢!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:37 PM

I used it in a quilt for my son. I used fine wale, navy blue for sashings and plaid fine wale for border. It wasn't heavy.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:18 PM

The quilt shop here carries the baby wale corduroy and has it as the backing on several samples. The quilts are nice and soft and not heavy.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Oh wow, such great ideas and Nativetexan thanks for sharing your picture. I plan to use just small bits of the corduroy, so it should not be too heavy or difficult to quilt. Quilts4Charity I was thinking that serging the edges would be a good idea. I'm so glad you mentioned it. The thrift shop is a good idea too for a source, but their shirts are usually around $5 ea. I may still take a trip over there to see what I can find. I will post pictures once I get this going. I still have another quilt to finish first. Thanks as always for all of the great input! ;-)
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 AM

It makes for a very heavy quilt - but I LIKE really heavy quilts so I count that as a good thing! This is a great thread, it reminds me I stashed several yards of red corduroy YEARS ago, before I was a quilter, because I thought it'd be cute for teddy bears and it was super cheap (got it at a thrift shop). I betcha there's enough for a quilt there.....hmm!!