Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost for long arm quilting? >

Cost for long arm quilting?

Cost for long arm quilting?

Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 AM

I charge 1.25 cents ($0.0125) per square inch, with a minimum of $60, for e2e/pantograph, with varying prices for custom, up to 3.5 cents ($0.035) psi for heavy custom.
Like tstransky, I do have batting available, and lately have even offered wide backing, as that seems to be a better deal all around for both me and my customers. My turn-around time is usually 2 weeks or less. I don't charge a "per bobbin" fee nor a "loading fee" (which some in my area do).

If a top or back comes in wrinkled, I will either NOT quilt it or will charge for pressing (and I really HATE to iron, so it's pretty steep!). Needless to say, it only takes once for a customer to forget to press their top/backing.

I have seen cheaper prices online, but I often wonder at the quality of the quilting and thread.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
I have seen cheaper prices online, but I often wonder at the quality of the quilting and thread.
I wonder about that, too. In general, for services, I've found you get what you pay for.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:44 AM

if you got a queen done for $100 that seems a little low price you got a good deal.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:33 PM

Hi, I'm from Pittsburgh PA. Does any one one know of an long arm quilter within 25 miles and what they charge. thanks for your help. Busy Lizzie
Old 06-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

The very first quilt I had longarm quilted by someone was 15 years ago, it was king sized and cost me $385. I did not expect that, had never had one done before. I imagine he charges a lot more now than he did 15 years ago. I found out later he is a fairly well known Quilter I see quilts he has quilted in shows a lot. I had no idea back then. I have to say- price depends on a lot of things. Location, the Quilter’s experience, style, materials, thread, lots.
Some Quilters charge by the square inch, some by the project, some do pantographs, edge to edge only, some free hand everything, some do mostly ruler work, some have computerized machines and do a lot different quilting. There are lots of differences and lots of different prices.
I've done a lot of long distance quilting for customers- they ship me their top and backing. I generally provide the batting (for a fee) just so they don’t have to ship it. We always discuss everything, and they sign a contract and send a deposit. When their quilt is done I take pictures, send them with the invoice. They pay- including postage and insurance and I send the quilt back. For some customers it has been less expensive for them than local , for some they may pay me a little more but like my work, or have a deadline I can meet that a different person may not be able to meet. There’s always lots to consider. Shop around ( locally and long distance) and see what will best meet your needs. But I do recommend checking out who is local first- just always nice to be able to see your Quilter, see their work, get to know them. Choose someone who can answer all your questions.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I found a woman on Ebay and have used her twice. She charged 109.00 for a King and supplied the batting. Shipping was around 15.00- I love her work and will send her my bigger quilts. If you want her name send me a pm. She's also fast and very nice to work with. She does an all-over design.