Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost for long arm quilting? >

Cost for long arm quilting?

Cost for long arm quilting?

Old 08-07-2016, 10:25 AM

Cool Cost for long arm quilting?

How much do you usually pay for longarm quilting? just curious as I send mine out and just wondering how mind costs compare to others. Also, is it cheaper to mail them to a company or take to a local quilter? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 AM

I think it depends a lot on the area.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Make sure you compare apples to apples. Some prices will include batting, some won't some include trimming some don't. What kind do thread is used? What kind of quilting are you talking about? In general (but not always) a panto is less expensive than free hand. Computerized quilters also charge different prices. While most quilters charge by the square inch, some charge by the square foot, and some charge per bobbin.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Make sure you compare apples to apples. Some prices will include batting, some won't some include trimming some don't. What kind do thread is used? What kind of quilting are you talking about? In general (but not always) a panto is less expensive than free hand. Computerized quilters also charge different prices. While most quilters charge by the square inch, some charge by the square foot, and some charge per bobbin.
I just recently paid about $100 for an almost queen sized quilt. I thought it was a little higher than I expected to pay. That did include the panto quilting, thread, batting, and $1.00 per bobbin. I will see if I can figure out how much a square inch they charged. Don't most long armers charge by the square inch? Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:37 PM

I was seeking a LA quote for a child's quilt I made it was 60 x 60, and since it had embroidery on it I could do a panto but I didn't want anything too elaborate, the lady wanted $35.00 an hour with a minimum of 10 hours. That did not include backing or batting. I had to pass on that. But I was told by someone else in the area it is the going rate, so I do my own on my DSM or hand quilt. So I am planning on trying to send one out to a location in KS or the MSQC.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:52 PM

I paid right about $100 for a queen sized quilt to be quilted. She supplied the batting and thread and it was computer done.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:15 PM

I pay 1.5 cents per square inch and it is computer quilted. I supply my own backing and batting.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 PM

I just paid 80 for an almost twin size. It's about 150 for about a queen e2e 2 cents per inch is standard for my area, not sure computerized or freehand
Old 08-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Usually a queen size with nice design edge to edge, good quality 80/20 batting, choice of thread color, cost me about $170, quilt squared and trimmed. I like edge to edge because there are no thread ends to mess with. There are some LA here that charge about $65. They use low quality batting, white or cream colored thread on the biggests spool they can buy, only loop and swirls edge to edge pattern and their stitches aren't balanced. What is so funny every time they mess up on the quilting, they blame the machine, like it wasn't their fault at all.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I was seeking a LA quote for a child's quilt I made it was 60 x 60, and since it had embroidery on it I could do a panto but I didn't want anything too elaborate, the lady wanted $35.00 an hour with a minimum of 10 hours. That did not include backing or batting. I had to pass on that. But I was told by someone else in the area it is the going rate, so I do my own on my DSM or hand quilt. So I am planning on trying to send one out to a location in KS or the MSQC.
Oh gosh! I would never have one done by someone else at that price. I would just have to do the best I could which I'm sure wouldn't be very good!