Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Counting stitches by hand quilters

I wanna know.....how do you count the hand stitches? Is up and down one stitch, or is up one stitch and down another stitch? I want to see those 12 stitches to the inch if it is up and down, but I guess I would need a magnifying glass. :lol:

When I took a hand quilting class they said the stitches were counted by putting a ruler down beside the stitching and counting all the stitches that lay within one inch, including those that touch the inch on the ends. That's what I was told, anyway. :-o

Norah...Check out the site I gave to Steve earlier on the one he posted....she has great info and she shows you those stitches as well. I have not reached the 14 to an inch that she shows...so don't sweat it! :D

I have to see this..can you give the link here. can you see them? :roll:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,HGTV_22056_58466,00.html Here it is ...just click onto the hints and then open up Didi McElroys Handquilting programs...it is in the first one.

Blog Entries
    I'm so disappointed! I use Apple computers or a library's. The Simply Quilts webiste (and a lot of others) are not compatable with Apples, and I cannot hear from the library's computers!.

Hey Norah,
    How's it?? My sister told me it was the number of loops on the needle, now I don't know about you, but I use the quilting betweens to hand sew everything with, they are the sharpest and they are small. I know I won't be able to for long with arthur and my eyes, but I sure like those needles. ANYWAY, I've not been able to get more than 7 loops on, Sheila (my sister) used to get 9 and 10, but I like seeing the thread loops in the quilt, don't you???

Sorry you couldn't stay the other morning for chat, we had a good one. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow!

Hugs,
    Sharon

Finally sitting down to a DSL good time with the quilt show. I learned a lot and need to thank you for steering me in the right direction ladies. Seems I'm not doing half bad after all, and have already learned a trick or two from the shows. Very cool... ten an inch (an even Steven).

I couldn't get it to load and I have DSL! LOL Oh well, I have only handquilted one small project and after doing that, realize I do NOT have that kind of patience! And I'm with Sharon....Arthur and eyes don't help matters in that department!

But I did go check some of my MIL's quilts I have and she is at about 10 an inch.

I got the site to load but yes lots of spam. Got disusted and closed....
    I don't exactly know how many per inch, but they are small . I concentrate on even no matter how many there are per......tlcquiltnut

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast