Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Counting stitches per inch

Counting stitches per inch

I realize the number of stitches per inch when hand quilting is not the issue, but the consistency. However, I am wondering how it is counted. Is it just the stitches that show on top of the quilt or the top and bottom?

I don't know, but I'm hoping it is top and bottom! I know that 10-12 stitches per inch is considered a good number, so if it was measured by just to top, they would be way too tiny for me to even imagine doing. Hopefully someone here will be more knowledgeable.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

What I was told, many, many, years ago, is the stitches on top is what is counted. I just look at my consistency, as long as my stitches look the same I'm happy.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Blog Entries
    My understanding is that both top and bottom are counted, especially when the count is 12 stitches per inch or more.

I am confused, as I do not hand quilt, wouldn't 1 stitch be one stitch cycle: needle through top to bottom than bottom to top then down into the top again. If you count both top and bottom, wouldn't that give you twice the count?
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Both methods of counting have been used. Which is "right" is hard to say; however, here is a link to a modern hand quilter who does say that counting the stitches on one side is the right way to go:
    https://timquilts.com/2013/02/15/cou...ting-stitches/

The Amish girls that quilt for the "popular" Pa. stores are required to do 12 per inch, and that is the top. I know one who is at 10 and cannot sell her quilts to them. She wants to do more for me for practice. I will take 10, sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Both methods of counting have been used. Which is "right" is hard to say; however, here is a link to a modern hand quilter who does say that counting the stitches on one side is the right way to go:
    Prism99
    Thank you for the info and link.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    I'm so pleased to have looked at this link.... I've managed 7 stitches per inch... but i like thicker battings... and Mr Latimer emphasizes the greater importance of uniformity than stitch count! Plus...it's fun!! Happy Quilting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

You count one side only. That's what I learned anyway. It's hard to get 12 stitches to the inch, although some people can. I can't but I think the important thing is consistency over stitch size.

Quote Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
    I realize the number of stitches per inch when hand quilting is not the issue, but the consistency. However, I am wondering how it is counted. Is it just the stitches that show on top of the quilt or the top and bottom?

As a Quilt Judge I will say:
    The stitches are counted from the top of the quilt. The consistancy in the length and smoothness of the stitch is what is important, regardless of the size of the stitch itself. The back of the quilt is checked to see if all the stitches have gone through all layers of the quilt and the consistency in the length of the stitches.

Ellen

Edit: The above is how the stitches are looked at in competition and not related to the requirements of the Amish.
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 01-11-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add comment.

Prism, thank you for the link. I guess top it is!