Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creating Future Quilters >

Creating Future Quilters

Creating Future Quilters

Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
How wonderful! If they've never sewn before you might try some lined paper (without thread--top or bobbin) and let them practice sewing straight on the lines a bit first. You can also draw spirals, squares, triangles, etc. to let them practice sewing on. It can be great fun for them to see how well they can stay on the lines, stop and pivot, or do curves.
That's exactly how I learned to sew many years ago with my DGM. You're a special Mom to take the time with your children and teach them something that is worthwhile & fulfilling. Please keep us informed of their progress.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Today, during a major rainstorm, my kids and I braved the weather to make it to Hancock Fabrics (about twenty miles across Denver) to purchase a new sewing machine. Normally, my kids would groan and whimper if I said we were going to a fabric store, but they were so excited today because the Janome Mini we purchased was for them! I let them pick out fabric to make pillowcases as well. My son picked out fabric with icky eye balls all over it and my daughter picked out Tinkerbell fabric. Then, because they didn't have the Seam to Seam I needed, my son (who actually asked if he could go with me) and I ran to JoAnns and he ended up picking up money fabric for another pillow case and kitty fabric for his sister. They couldn't wait to get the machine home. I found a great pillowcase tutorial through a link here and tomorrow I am going to teach my children how to sew. I think my son (8) will love it and be good at this. My daughter (5) might be a bit too young, but I think she will be so thrilled to have pillowcases on her bed that she had a part in making.
Please take pictures of their pillowcases and post them here. I guessing they would get a kick out of seeing them on the computer. :wink:
Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Please take pictures of their pillowcases and post them here. I guessing they would get a kick out of seeing them on the computer. :wink:
I will tell them this is what I am going to do. I figure they will be working on them this weekend!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM

You are a wonderful mother, hope you all have a fun time with your projects, and please post pictures, could be another Eddie in the first stages of sewing.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Gal

Great story, I taught my son and daughter to sew when they were young. My daughter never really took to it but my son was quite good at it and he liked it. Now that my daughter is in her own home she has started to sew again so I am really happy about this and we have been making curtains. I think she is realizing at last how much she can save and how being creative with the sewing machine gives unique one off items that no one else has.

Gal
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

What wonderful memories you are creating :thumbup: Have fun and post pics as they are learning :lol:
Old 06-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Aw, cant wait to see a picture. Hope they love sewing, what a great MOM!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:17 AM

Good for you! They will love it. Just doing something with Mom is special.

:lol: ....Icky Eye Balls ! ....bet it will turn out great! :lol:
Old 06-12-2010, 05:17 AM

Good for you! A win/win for each of you. Quality time and 2 new stash addicts. Do you have a dulled needle in your sharps container for use on their lined paper? When I showed my gd how to power the machine the first time I took paper tape and taped a 3" square on the face plate with the needle being in the middle. That was her 'danger zone don't put your fingers here' lines.
Have fun and enjoy/Regards, Dorothy
Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 AM

My DGD started sewing on her own machine when she was 4 (she's 7 now). I have an old laundry hamper that I throw my scraps in and I let her use anything in the scrap bin she wants. The other thing I do is cut out squares of white fabric and keep a stash of those ready for her creative days. She takes out her sharpies and writes messages and/draws pictures on them. We then turn them into pillows or little wall hangings ans she gives these as gifts to her great grandparents and any one she takes a notion to make one for. They are unique and capture a moment in time of her writing and drawing skills as well as her sewing.