Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Creating Future Quilters

  1. #1
    Super Member MistyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,430
    Today, during a major rainstorm, my kids and I braved the weather to make it to Hancock Fabrics (about twenty miles across Denver) to purchase a new sewing machine. Normally, my kids would groan and whimper if I said we were going to a fabric store, but they were so excited today because the Janome Mini we purchased was for them! I let them pick out fabric to make pillowcases as well. My son picked out fabric with icky eye balls all over it and my daughter picked out Tinkerbell fabric. Then, because they didn't have the Seam to Seam I needed, my son (who actually asked if he could go with me) and I ran to JoAnns and he ended up picking up money fabric for another pillow case and kitty fabric for his sister. They couldn't wait to get the machine home. I found a great pillowcase tutorial through a link here and tomorrow I am going to teach my children how to sew. I think my son (8) will love it and be good at this. My daughter (5) might be a bit too young, but I think she will be so thrilled to have pillowcases on her bed that she had a part in making.

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    awesome, have fun teaching the kids, great news!

    we will be wanting to see show and tell projects from them

  3. #3
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    How wonderful! If they've never sewn before you might try some lined paper (without thread--top or bobbin) and let them practice sewing straight on the lines a bit first. You can also draw spirals, squares, triangles, etc. to let them practice sewing on. It can be great fun for them to see how well they can stay on the lines, stop and pivot, or do curves.

  4. #4
    Super Member MistyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,430
    Good idea! Thanks

  5. #5
    PALS65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    How wonderful! If they've never sewn before you might try some lined paper (without thread--top or bobbin) and let them practice sewing straight on the lines a bit first. You can also draw spirals, squares, triangles, etc. to let them practice sewing on. It can be great fun for them to see how well they can stay on the lines, stop and pivot, or do curves.
    Wow that is a cool idea! I would have never thought of doing that.

  6. #6
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,652
    Your son will treasure that pillow case.

    It's great that you are starting him on this.

  7. #7
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    My DGD started sewing at 5 on her own Janome Sew Mini. I love this machine. It's not to fast and is fun to work with. She now has a regular Janome her uncle (my son) gave her but still prefers to sew on the Mini. It's a great size for little hands. Your daughter will do just fine.

  8. #8
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    How wonderful!!! The kids will have so much fun learning and spending the time with you :D:D:D

  9. #9
    Super Member pab58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    near Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    6,222
    Blog Entries
    1
    What a wonderful way to have extra mom and kid time!!! Not to mention more future sewers!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

  10. #10
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    That's wonderful!! I had to laugh at the fabric your son picked out- so typical!! My son had a Cabbage patch doll when he was little that he called "Mr. T". Boys crack me up.
    By the way, all 3 loved using my sewing machine!! We had fun :D
    Hope you do too!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    How wonderful! If they've never sewn before you might try some lined paper (without thread--top or bobbin) and let them practice sewing straight on the lines a bit first. You can also draw spirals, squares, triangles, etc. to let them practice sewing on. It can be great fun for them to see how well they can stay on the lines, stop and pivot, or do curves.
    That's exactly how I learned to sew many years ago with my DGM. You're a special Mom to take the time with your children and teach them something that is worthwhile & fulfilling. Please keep us informed of their progress.

  12. #12
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    Today, during a major rainstorm, my kids and I braved the weather to make it to Hancock Fabrics (about twenty miles across Denver) to purchase a new sewing machine. Normally, my kids would groan and whimper if I said we were going to a fabric store, but they were so excited today because the Janome Mini we purchased was for them! I let them pick out fabric to make pillowcases as well. My son picked out fabric with icky eye balls all over it and my daughter picked out Tinkerbell fabric. Then, because they didn't have the Seam to Seam I needed, my son (who actually asked if he could go with me) and I ran to JoAnns and he ended up picking up money fabric for another pillow case and kitty fabric for his sister. They couldn't wait to get the machine home. I found a great pillowcase tutorial through a link here and tomorrow I am going to teach my children how to sew. I think my son (8) will love it and be good at this. My daughter (5) might be a bit too young, but I think she will be so thrilled to have pillowcases on her bed that she had a part in making.
    Please take pictures of their pillowcases and post them here. I guessing they would get a kick out of seeing them on the computer. :wink:

  13. #13
    Super Member MistyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    Please take pictures of their pillowcases and post them here. I guessing they would get a kick out of seeing them on the computer. :wink:
    I will tell them this is what I am going to do. I figure they will be working on them this weekend!

  14. #14
    Super Member julia58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Virginia
    Posts
    1,879
    Blog Entries
    1
    You are a wonderful mother, hope you all have a fun time with your projects, and please post pictures, could be another Eddie in the first stages of sewing.

  15. #15
    Gal
    Gal is offline
    Super Member Gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Zealand in the South Pacific
    Posts
    1,117
    Great story, I taught my son and daughter to sew when they were young. My daughter never really took to it but my son was quite good at it and he liked it. Now that my daughter is in her own home she has started to sew again so I am really happy about this and we have been making curtains. I think she is realizing at last how much she can save and how being creative with the sewing machine gives unique one off items that no one else has.

    Gal

  16. #16
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    What wonderful memories you are creating :thumbup: Have fun and post pics as they are learning :lol:

  17. #17
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    Aw, cant wait to see a picture. Hope they love sewing, what a great MOM!

  18. #18
    1quilt_gma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    376
    Good for you! They will love it. Just doing something with Mom is special.

    :lol: ....Icky Eye Balls ! ....bet it will turn out great! :lol:

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    Good for you! A win/win for each of you. Quality time and 2 new stash addicts. Do you have a dulled needle in your sharps container for use on their lined paper? When I showed my gd how to power the machine the first time I took paper tape and taped a 3" square on the face plate with the needle being in the middle. That was her 'danger zone don't put your fingers here' lines.
    Have fun and enjoy/Regards, Dorothy

  20. #20
    Junior Member oldhag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario
    Posts
    236
    My DGD started sewing on her own machine when she was 4 (she's 7 now). I have an old laundry hamper that I throw my scraps in and I let her use anything in the scrap bin she wants. The other thing I do is cut out squares of white fabric and keep a stash of those ready for her creative days. She takes out her sharpies and writes messages and/draws pictures on them. We then turn them into pillows or little wall hangings ans she gives these as gifts to her great grandparents and any one she takes a notion to make one for. They are unique and capture a moment in time of her writing and drawing skills as well as her sewing.

  21. #21
    Super Member MistyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    My DGD started sewing on her own machine when she was 4 (she's 7 now). I have an old laundry hamper that I throw my scraps in and I let her use anything in the scrap bin she wants. The other thing I do is cut out squares of white fabric and keep a stash of those ready for her creative days. She takes out her sharpies and writes messages and/draws pictures on them. We then turn them into pillows or little wall hangings ans she gives these as gifts to her great grandparents and any one she takes a notion to make one for. They are unique and capture a moment in time of her writing and drawing skills as well as her sewing.
    That is such a GREAT idea. We just finished our first set of pillowcases. My kids are already putting them to use. My son decided he wanted the money fabric first. Can't say I am too thrilled about the eyeball fabric, so I was glad he chose the money fabric. They went downstairs into my stash and picked out coordinating fabric for the rest of the pillowcases. That was fun for them. Jacob rejected about ten different pieces until I found the "right" green for him. My daughter was easier to please, which surprised me.

    My son was being silly.
    Name:  Attachment-83993.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  45.6 KB

    My daughter's in little girl heaven here!
    Name:  Attachment-84011.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  65.3 KB

  22. #22
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,200
    Blog Entries
    6
    Cute kids!!

  23. #23
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    We get lots of relatives coming to visit since we live in the middle of the country we are a good stop over place to crash for a few days. I try to keep some fun kid fabrics on hand and we make a pillowcase for each kid, if they are old enough they sew it, if not they still pick fabrics from my stash. If they are here for a few days, we hit The Farmer's Store, thousands of bolts of fabric there.

  24. #24
    Super Member MistyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,430
    I just got back from a UFO night at my LQS. The lady across the table from me was trying to figure out how to make a pillow case. I had to laugh, having done two today! My kids are raring to go on their second ones tomorrow.

  25. #25
    Super Member kwiltkrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mapleton, Oregon
    Posts
    7,086
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is nothing wrong with having your daughter sit on your lap to sew. She will think she's doing it all. Aren't kids wonderful, I miss having them around, my boys are 25 and 24. No little ones in the near future.Boo hoo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.