Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: a cuddly quilt

This is my question. I have made quite a few quilts and they look very nice but I am not happy with them. I want a quilt that my family would like to cuddle up under on a cold winter night. A soft fluffy quilt to comfort the soul. Do I use flannel as the backing/ And the thickest batting there is? Do I do minimal quilting as that flattens the quilt. I made a beautiful sofa quilt for my daughter and it just sits on the back of the sofa as it it not soft and people friendly. Thanks in advance. Anita

My kids favourite quilt in the house is one with a faux fur backing. It's lovely and soft, very tactile, and just awesome to cuddle up with. I used no batting, and I random quilted in the ditch (it's a random pattern).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My own experience (so don't shoot me) is that the softest and cuddliest ones are hand quilted. I can just lift a quilt blindfolded and tell the difference.

Blue chicken: I'd love to cuddle under that quilt! As for having a quilt that the whole family loves, I believe that flannel is the best. I don't even care if it's tied or quilted, etc. Pretty colors, soft fabric, and having it accessable are the key points.

Blog Entries
    The softest quilt I've made--and I've made a LOT of them--is a ragged flannel. Flannel on both sides with cotton batting between--you can't beat it. I call them a hug-to-go when I give them as gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    My own experience (so don't shoot me) is that the softest and cuddliest ones are hand quilted. I can just lift a quilt blindfolded and tell the difference.
    Ok, MoonPi, I'm not going to shoot you, LOL, because I am a handquilter. But this has Faux Fur. I think it may beat our handqulting. I would like to cuddle up under it. That is if I wasn't is So. Callifornia.

Blog Entries
    My favorite batting is "warm and natural" and my favorite quilt is a scrappy cotton that has been washed within an inch of its life. It is so soft from repeated use that it conforms to the body. It is also a cat magnet.

I love flannel too... especially for baby quilts and cats! ;-)

I am working on three baby quilts all made out of flannel. I would cuddle under any of them. They are soooooo soft.

This is just my own opinion but I find that if you tie a quilt instead of quilting the whole thing it makes the quilt more huggable. Also perhaps you could use a blanket/comforter that they like or one simular as the middle of the quilt. Sometimes fleece will help for the backing. I hope these might help or trigger a thought you had not thought of yet.

MissTami :roll:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast