Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a cuddly quilt >

a cuddly quilt

a cuddly quilt

Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 PM

I know this will go against the grain of what most people think. I use bedsheets from thrift stores for my fabric. And i find that the very softest fabrics are actually bedsheets that arent 100%cotton, but the ones that have that softer feel from a poly blend, and polyblens are not as heavy as cotton either. And i like poly batting because it's so soft and lightweight. The quilt i'm just finishing now i'm finding a little stiff, it's a variation on a log cabin, which has tons of seams, and it seems the more seams, the stiffer the quilt is what i'm finding.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
The softest quilt I've made--and I've made a LOT of them--is a ragged flannel. Flannel on both sides with cotton batting between--you can't beat it. I call them a hug-to-go when I give them as gifts.
I made my first one for my daughter a year ago and she loves it, as well as everyone else... so.... I made the next for my mom for Mother's Day last year. My DSIL and BF found out she had terminal cancer this past June, so she got the next one and it has been a real comfort to her. I then made my grandson (4 years old) one made with a monster truck print and primary colors for his birthday. Then for Christmas I made three, one for my son, brother, and BIL. I have several more to make to get through the family, but they are fast and forgiving. Every one is used and "well" loved. I am looking forward to making one for myself......... one day :P
Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 AM

What a fun idea for the backing. Though, was it a pain to sew on, Blue?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 AM

Our cuddliest quilts have the flannel backing. And I use Walmart's white flannel that is $2.57 a yard. I've spent ALOT of money buying flannels at quilt shops, online, and of course, Joann's. And the quilts that get the most use are the goofy ones with the white walmart flannel. Now the real reason could be that the fabric is white and shows everything hahahhaa. If it is a gift quilt, I will try and buy more expensive flannel, such as the moda marbles. That will definitely last longer.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Thank you all for the great ideas. Can't wait to finish up the quilt I am on now to try your suggestions
Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 PM

I'm chuckling, because there are so many ideas about what is best for cuddling! My grandsons have almost worn out a handquilted drag-around lap quilt that's all cotton with polyester batting, and 2 machine-quilted pieced flannels with fleece instead of batting. Our favorite lap quilt at home is an all cotton with polyester batting - hand quilted.