Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting 1.5" squares

If you are making a stamp quilt, Mariposa is doing a swap of 1.5" squares. Sign up ends 1/15.

Just use a june tailor shape cut it will go fast. just cut strips stack them and cut in 1.5 inch increments in the slots.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Thanks all for the comments. The studio is WAY out of my price range unfortunately. I decided against getting a strip cutter, and will just rotary cut... Thank goodness New Years Day is a holiday!

Barri1- thanks for info about the swap, but I'm not doing random, so I need very specific colors.

Blog Entries
    It would be easier and more accurate cuts to cut 3 inch squares and then cut four 1 1/2" squares from those. You could stack the squares four deep and get 16 small squares with two cuts. A rotating mat would be your best investment for this and it's inexpensive compared to a die cut machine.
    Got fabric?

(Genuine question) Why do you think it would be more accurate to first cut 3" squares and then cut them? How is that different from cutting 1.5" strips and then cutting the squares? Since I have to first cut accurate 3" squares and then cut accurate midlines in them, it seems like more room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    (Genuine question) Why do you think it would be more accurate to first cut 3" squares and then cut them? How is that different from cutting 1.5" strips and then cutting the squares? Since I have to first cut accurate 3" squares and then cut accurate midlines in them, it seems like more room for error.
    I'll be waiting for an answer to this to.
    Why? I may never need 1 1/2 inch squares but would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
    I'll be waiting for an answer to this to.
    Why? I may never need 1 1/2 inch squares but would like to know.
    It might be a head game, but cutting one 3" into four 1 1/2's just sounds easier. Cutting pieces is my least favorite part of quilting(so far). I too would like to know if there is a cutter out there that is better than the rest.

Blog Entries
    Cutting the 3" squares is easier and I get more accurate cuts. Some may find it doesn't make a difference or is not easier. Everyone has to decide for themselves.
    Got fabric?

I would definitely use the June Tailor Shape Cut. Far more accurate than a ruler. I was able to cut all the fabric strips for a lap size Bargello in less than 30 minutes without worrying about the rotary cutter 'wandering' away from the edge of the ruler. Wouldn't cut strips without it. And it's easy to turn the strips and cut them into squares.

What's the name of the pattern? I'd like to see one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast