Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: cutting old olfa mat

Blog Entries
    Hi !! I have a really old olfa cutting mat that has some cracks . They are close to the outside, so I would like to cut it so it is smaller and will fit a certain table. Has anyone cut theirs and can you advise me as to how to do it ? Thank you !!

Haven't done so ... though would like to do the same, so looking for any tips! :)

Blog Entries
    I have cut mats into smaller sizes before. I used a box knife to score it a little at a time until it cut through. DH has tin snips that cut through the mats super easy but no use buying a pair of those just for mat cutting if you don't have a pair.

My sister cut hers with a utility knife. Try not to use a quilting ruler as you might nick it. I would suggest any other kind of straight edge. Don't try to cut all the way through with the first cut. Make as many passes as necessary to cut all the way through, like you do with floor tiles. She had to cut her 36" mat off because her husband put a hot pan on one end ( when she wasn't looking) and burned it.

Blog Entries
    thanks for your help !! I got it done :thumbup: