Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting sashing fabric - across or down?

Cutting sashing fabric - across or down?

How do you cut sashing fabric?
    Do you cut selvage to selvage or down the yardage?
    Thanks.

Personally I cut my bindings and sashing lengthwise, but I'm sure that you'll get people that do it selvage to selvage, so I would say it's a personal preference.

Blog Entries
    I cut bindings selvedge to selvedge to get a bit of stretch without resorting to bias bindings. I'm not too hung up on the weave direction when I cut my sashings. I always use cornerstones, I get much better matching when I do. With the cornerstones, the sashing pieces are going to only be the length of a block. What I do look at is the pattern of the sashing fabric, and decide which way would look best. If it's an obvious directional, I have been known to cut the sashing both WOF and LOF so that the pattern stays consistent.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    It depends on the fabric. If it is a directional print I go with lengthwise. If the fabric has a nap or sheen, I try to make sure all the pieces in a quilt and the border go in the same direction.

Power Poster
    I prefer to use the length of fabric, because I like the stability of it.

Doreen Speckmann used width of fabric because of the stretch - it was easier to 'fudge' if one needed to.

I am more referring to shot cotton kind of fabric where there is no design considerations.

I am doing (actually just completed) a top that uses kona cotton sashing, and I was pondering if I should cut WOF or LOF.
    I decided on LOF as I did not want any stretch.

I think WOF would be good for binding.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Doreen Speckmann used width of fabric because of the stretch - it was easier to 'fudge' if one needed to.
    Yes, agree with the fudge factor. But that could also be a double edge sword

For me it depends if the fabric is directional. To avoid waviness if you have multiple borders, cut all the pieces in the same direction for the border sets.

Cheers, K

Blog Entries
    Another option - instead of running sashing down the entire quilt, sash each block individually. This makes keeping the blocks lined up SO much easier.

For instance - in this quilt, I sewed short strips of the pale pink fabric to each block, then sewed all the blocks together.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  873.5 KB
    Last edited by Peckish; 11-21-2012 at 09:01 AM.

I've done it either way...depends on my fabric, etc.,...really a personal preference.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast