Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which cutting system? >

Which cutting system?

Which cutting system?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:08 AM

I was down here taking care of my mom for my birthday, and again back down for Valentines Day. Well, my husband is willing to buy me a cutting system as a gift, but I need to pick it out and order it myself. Right now, Joanne's has the Accuquilt GO on sale for $199. But I have read mixed reviews. There is a Simplicity strip cutter, there are the June Tailor sets, there are just so many to choose from. I'm new to quilting. Should I just wait? Would love your advice, opinions.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 AM

I think it depends on the type of quilting you like to do. Do you like applique? I'd suggest checking out the dies available on the accuquilt website to see what you think you'd use. Depending on how new to quilting you are, waiting might be a better option. I've been quilting for several years so I've accumulated the June Taylor strip cutter ruler, the Alto2, and recently a Studio :oops: and I use all 3 for different purposes. The reason I went with the Studio was because I couldn't get the dies I wanted for the Go. Have fun deciding!

Susan
Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 AM

I have an Acuquilt GO and I love it. There's an acuquilt yahoo group which will give you a lot of information.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 AM

I just got mine . Accuquilt Didn't Send me the mats for my extra die I bought. Where is the Accuquilt Group at?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I love the Accuquilt!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 AM

I would also do a search here for "accuquilt go", "accu go", "June Taylor" and "strip cutter" there's a plethora of information already here about members experience with these as well as some great links. Good luck to you.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
I would also do a search here for "accuquilt go", "accu go", "June Taylor" and "strip cutter" there's a plethora of information already here about members experience with these as well as some great links. Good luck to you.
Thank You
Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by SuzyQ
I think it depends on the type of quilting you like to do. Do you like applique? I'd suggest checking out the dies available on the accuquilt website to see what you think you'd use. Depending on how new to quilting you are, waiting might be a better option. I've been quilting for several years so I've accumulated the June Taylor strip cutter ruler, the Alto2, and recently a Studio :oops: and I use all 3 for different purposes. The reason I went with the Studio was because I couldn't get the dies I wanted for the Go. Have fun deciding!

Susan
I'm with Susan....If you are wanting it for applique I would do the AccuQuilt Go or the Studio, if you are wanting great accuracy on strips, triangles, wedges, etc, I would look at a Quilt2Cut, which is an Alto product. http://www.sewezquilting.com/altosproducts/
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 AM

I have the Alto Quilt2Cut its is just great check it out on the Alto web site.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 AM

I have the Simplicity Strip Cutter, and honestly, I wouldn't waste my money. However, I also have the Simplicity Bias Strip Maker, and it's awesome! Makes all types/sizes, depending upon which 'foot' you put on there. I love this...but the cutter was a waste, in my opinion.

Also, I have the Alto II, and it's great. I do love it and use it all the time. Well worth the money, but you do need to be willing to be patient and learn how to use it, and once you do...the sky's the limit! No additional parts to buy either :)

Hope this helps,
Debbie in Austin