Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Up Jeans for Fabric >

Cutting Up Jeans for Fabric

Cutting Up Jeans for Fabric

Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 AM

I made a couple for an organization giving them to injured soldiers and I had a bear of a time with the first one. Use a heavier-duty needle in your machine for sure. My machine wasn't working right and when I shook out the quilt, threads kept breaking! It was pure h e double hockey sticks, but I just kept repairing until the quilt held. We were told to use flannel as the batting. Both the quilts I made ended up nice enough but so heavy. They were used to cover soldiers on chilly med planes so I hope the receivers found them cozy enough (I just don't see blue jeans as cozy). I had cut the squares, per specifications, 6-1/2 inches square and people signed the squares with messages of encouragement.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 AM

Default re: jeans for fabric : Things I've done with jeans.....

I haven't made a jean quilt yet but have been collecting old jeans and jean skirts for projects ! One year my mom bought jean skirts and shorts , belts, and scarves and I made purses with them for everyone for Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails 101_0400.jpg   101_0370.jpg   101_0262.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 AM

I bought a new couch and have 4 dogs-duh.Well any way I made a denim and twill quilt to cover the couch to protect it.My daughter quilted it and it is heavy but has protected my couch well.With the thicker fabrics the dogs have not damaged it yet at all.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 AM

When I made quilts out of jean fabric, I used rectangles instead of squares. Then I staggered the seams so that I didn't have bulky seams coming together.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 AM

I have been collecting jeans also. With mine I decided to cut down all seams to save for a coaster tutorial I found then I cut off the pockets for yet another project that makes potholders out of those. I then cut out the most strips I can and then I decided if I want whole squares or mixtures of strips hst or what the possibilites are endless. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 AM

Chick 30116, thats a pretty neat story and good advice! I have cut up many pairs of jeans I've collected and have more still to cut. I will be making squares to do a rag quilt so this thread is interesting to me as I have not ever made one yet.
My method albeit good or bad, was to cut along the outer flat feld seams from hem to waist; cut the inside leg seam the same and save those as I saw them used for shoulder straps on a denim handbag! That might come later, lol. I removed the zippers to save, the pockets to save and then I will cut the remaining fabric into squares in whatever sizes I can get out of the fabric. Then I plan to square up as many as possible into "same size" squares. I will then embroidery on some of the squares. Hope that makes sense. I was thinking of using flannel for the back and not sure if any batting.... maybe none?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:11 AM

I've made oversized 9 patch baby quilts with denim on on the back. I just made blocks to fit from the denim. Light weight batting was used and the quilt was birthed. To quilt it I machine stiched on one with a big wavy pattern using red thread. Outlined pocket patterns on one for the quilting and did wonky stars on another. They worked up quick because of all the precut blocks of denim. The quilts are small so the weight is not bad. The denim is good for floors or outdoors. Also very machine washable. Moms and babies love em. The 9 patch pattern is by Anita Grossman Soloman. Quick and easy to do.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 AM

I would love to see picture of the quilt. Is one available. Thanks Peg711

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I did a double wedding ring with used denim appliqued onto bandana fabric. (actually 2, one bed sized and one baby sized) It worked fairly well and was not as heavy as an all denim quilt top. Around here, people mainly do the denim rag quilts with flannel backing and no batting. It is still heavy. I used my seam ripper to help fringe the edges, even so, it was very time consuming. A few pieces which I cut out were on a convenient line for the fabric I had, rather than straight of grain. That was a mistake. They did not fringe nicely.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM

I was reading this again today and remembered that I made one from a pattern called "The Free Quilt". It really cost me about $80 by the time I purchased the batting for the back and had it longarmed. It started out with jean blocks and then she pieced scrappy squares around them for a sashing effect. I think the blocks were 2.5" that went around the jeans - I was a little worried about mixing quilting cotton and blue jeans, but with the batting in the middle and flannel on the back it worked out perfect. It's not too heavy either. I keep it in my car and people are always AMAZED when I yank it out and throw it on the grass for picnics. I would definitely make another one if I ever get my box of jeans cut up - lol
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. One final question--backing. I recently made some rag quilts and found that some of the flannel got so pilled after I used it, I just wanted to cry. Which manufacturer or whose flannel do all of you use?