Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cutting Up Jeans for Fabric

Chick 30116, thats a pretty neat story and good advice! I have cut up many pairs of jeans I've collected and have more still to cut. I will be making squares to do a rag quilt so this thread is interesting to me as I have not ever made one yet.
    My method albeit good or bad, was to cut along the outer flat feld seams from hem to waist; cut the inside leg seam the same and save those as I saw them used for shoulder straps on a denim handbag! That might come later, lol. I removed the zippers to save, the pockets to save and then I will cut the remaining fabric into squares in whatever sizes I can get out of the fabric. Then I plan to square up as many as possible into "same size" squares. I will then embroidery on some of the squares. Hope that makes sense. I was thinking of using flannel for the back and not sure if any batting.... maybe none?

I've made oversized 9 patch baby quilts with denim on on the back. I just made blocks to fit from the denim. Light weight batting was used and the quilt was birthed. To quilt it I machine stiched on one with a big wavy pattern using red thread. Outlined pocket patterns on one for the quilting and did wonky stars on another. They worked up quick because of all the precut blocks of denim. The quilts are small so the weight is not bad. The denim is good for floors or outdoors. Also very machine washable. Moms and babies love em. The 9 patch pattern is by Anita Grossman Soloman. Quick and easy to do.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Blog Entries
    I would love to see picture of the quilt. Is one available. Thanks Peg711

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I did a double wedding ring with used denim appliqued onto bandana fabric. (actually 2, one bed sized and one baby sized) It worked fairly well and was not as heavy as an all denim quilt top. Around here, people mainly do the denim rag quilts with flannel backing and no batting. It is still heavy. I used my seam ripper to help fringe the edges, even so, it was very time consuming. A few pieces which I cut out were on a convenient line for the fabric I had, rather than straight of grain. That was a mistake. They did not fringe nicely.

Blog Entries
    I was reading this again today and remembered that I made one from a pattern called "The Free Quilt". It really cost me about $80 by the time I purchased the batting for the back and had it longarmed. It started out with jean blocks and then she pieced scrappy squares around them for a sashing effect. I think the blocks were 2.5" that went around the jeans - I was a little worried about mixing quilting cotton and blue jeans, but with the batting in the middle and flannel on the back it worked out perfect. It's not too heavy either. I keep it in my car and people are always AMAZED when I yank it out and throw it on the grass for picnics. I would definitely make another one if I ever get my box of jeans cut up - lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of the advice. One final question--backing. I recently made some rag quilts and found that some of the flannel got so pilled after I used it, I just wanted to cry. Which manufacturer or whose flannel do all of you use?

I made this out of jeans for my mom's couch so her dog could get on her couch. I made it up as I went along. I used flannel for the backing and no batting was needed as it would have been way too heavy and it's heavy enough as it is. It's very durable
    Attached Images Attached Images

Easy to do but I found it was heavy making a large size. Just used flannel then tied it with red,white and blue embroidery floss. Gave it to my son. He said it is nice and warm. Has been through washer and dryer many times in the past years. Still looks like new. Maybe you would want to start with a lap size for yourself. Still saving as I would like a lap size for me .

Blog Entries
    Well, it looks like I am not alone in collecting jeans. It is such a great resource of 'free' fabric, especially if you have your friends give you their old jeans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
    I collected about 22 pairs of jeans and want to make a rag quilt out of them. Are there any tips for cutting up the jeans into squares? Anyone been there and done that? I would like to learn from your experiences. Thanks!
    if you are soing a rag quilt , you don't need a backing ,jean quilts are beautiful but very heavy
    love my grandsons justin & jeremy , love my big family and bff katherine .

I started a quilt with jean blocks and decided it was way to heavy. Then I remembered that my old (92 years) neighbor made rugs for her kitchen floor out of old jeans. They can go in the wash, look cute on the floor. And they wear forever!!

Add me, I would love to see a jeans quilt double wedding ring. It sounds fascinating. I'm new to this so I curious about everything.

So cute. I'll be the dog just loves it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2