Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cuutting mats >

Cuutting mats

Cuutting mats

Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 AM

One more thumbs up for the Alvin mat!!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
I have the Martelli cutting mat. I've had it for over 5 years. They are 2 sided. One side is yellow and the other side is purple. It also has a grid for squaring up blocks. It has been rolled up and left in the car when it was hot. It went back to lying flat. They are pricey but well worth the $$. When you buy at a quilt show they are cheaper. No fuzz. I make a lot of quilts a year and no "cuts" on the mat.
I just ordered one at a quilt expo. The mat I have is decent, (Big Mat) but due to the inch layout, I can't use it where I want it. I have trouble with certain colors on the Olfa and the yellow lines.

How do you clean the Martelli? The salesmen were fairly new and didn't know. I've got 505 on the Big Mat, tried rubbing alcohol, and the lines started coming off. The Olfa will scrub, but if you cut batting, you have a mess. They salesmen did mention Windex. I don't pick the mat up from the table. So coffee stains, 505, ink, cat hair and other cat deposits get all over it. The deposits get cleaned up as soon as I see them, coffee and other stains not so much.
I mark Mat Board for pics on the table - however I keep an old large Olfa to cut the mat board on in a different room.

They are behind in shipping, so I won't get it for a month. Switching colors might help with seeing a few fabrics.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I turn my mat over to cut batting on the back side. A find grit sandpaper takes the batting threads out of the mat in one swipe.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 AM

I have two Sew/Fit cutting mats that my Mother and I ordered from Clotilde, I think. The reason for my foggy memory(other than age) is that we bought them more than 20 years ago. They are the pinnable, self healing. Other than brief periods of her illness, they have been well used. Now showing some grooving, but still in good shape. Have a few other brands....I think they are under bed in guest room.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog View Post
Just for grins, I googled drafting cutting mats and found a bunch of different sites. Now this is a cutting mat --
http://www.cutting-mats.net/selfheal...-mat-1074.html
OH MY..I ck'd that site and it froze my computer--tho't I'd never get it closed. I hate it when web sites do that--not very often, but sometimes I have to restart to get it gone. Expensive mat at $159...I have one, but I bought mine at an estate sale for $60 and it covers my entire cutting table. I think it was used for making draperies--so big I had to cut it to fit. But I still use a 24x36 on top of that. It just seemed to be awfully hard & I was afraid it was dulling my rotary blades. Really nice for laying on the lines tho.