Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deciding next project >

Deciding next project

Deciding next project

Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 AM

How do you decide which project to start next? I have lots of things I want to do but nothing I absolutely have to do. I don't particularly like starting new projects. My DD would like a quilt for GD's "big girl" bed so I could start that.

How do you decide?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 AM

That is a good question!! I have been asking myself the very same thing. I have no deadlines to meet and no gifts to make and cannot make up my mind what project to do next. And I am 3 quilts ahead for my wounded warriors! On the plus side, I am finishing some UFOs while I think about it!!

I have made up my mind to decide something today!...As soon as I get back from church!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 AM

I'm not much help, I just listen to the project that "calls" me the loudest==
Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I don't particularly like starting new projects.
How do you decide?
Unfortunately I don't have that problem. Starting new projects is one of the most exciting parts of quilting for me. If I have no deadline my problem is deciding which project to finish.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 AM

What's on the most urgent list!

Is there a deadline? If it's a gift for a certain date, that gets worked on first.

If it's for a holiday that's coming soon, next.

If it's for me, DEAD LAST!

My Grandson get top priority too! I'm currently making a alphabet quilt for his room, a Easter bunny quilt, a train quilt, he loves trains.

Each day when I go to my studio, I set a schedule for myself. I give myself time to work on everything that I have going, with the urgent list top priority.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 AM

I have no problem starting new projects...I always have a long list of "next" quilts I want to make...maybe as you see quilts you like, make a list and you can work from that. I also have a bin of patterns that I really want to make (and many other patterns that aren't in that bin at this time)...I just don't have enough time to ever get done everything I would like to make.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 AM

Wow...I wish I was in your position! lol...I have so many projects in various stages that my question is...Which project do I want to finish this year! LOL
Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 AM

baby quilts one for 3 yr old and one coming in novenber these are great grand babies did not kniw about the 3 yr old untill a few months ago so he is first then the other one that will be a panel with cars and fleese back the other is gurdian angles pp 8 of them for the top
Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM

I have a notebook titled "What I Want to Make Next" with patterns in plastic sleeves. I keep moving the pages forward and backwards. At least it makes me feel like I have a plan and a method to my madness
Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a notebook titled "What I Want to Make Next" with patterns in plastic sleeves. I keep moving the pages forward and backwards. At least it makes me feel like I have a plan and a method to my madness
Now there is an idea and a good one!

I never know what I want to do next either. I get stuck on one thing till I get tired of it and then move onto something else. Usually something I see inspires me, which is the wonderful thing about quilting and sewing projects.

I also use small deadlines, such as birthdays coming up to get started on something.