Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deciding next project >

Deciding next project

Deciding next project

Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I sit down the night before and decide what I want to start, sometimes pull fabric for the project, and then go to bed.

The next day I get up, get online, spend hours doing nothing constructive, go out to eat, come home, read, design tomorrow's project, then go to bed.

The third day I do it all over again.

Beginning to realize, since the advent of QB in my life, I'm not a quilter, I'm a procrastinator. :?

Jan in VA
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Sometimes projects "happen" to me - people get married, have babies, buy their first new home. These are not planned projects. I've also taken a few online classes so therefore the project was decided on the class (which was based on a technique I wanted to learn).

*MY* projects - I see something I like and I make it. Inspiration comes from everywhere, LQS, magazines, this board of course, nature, quilt shows, TV ... whatever. Like everyone else,

I've got patterns and fabric that I've not yet used but I'm confident that they'll all be paired up into a quilt some day.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 AM

That's never a problem--I have so many to choose from. It depends on how complicated and time-consuming I want it to be. And whether I have everything I need to make that particular project.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM

That is a hard question, I have three things going right now, two BOM's, a brown and pink quilt and a tube quilt that needs finishing touches. Plus I want to make the Hoopsisters Old Glory project.
I don't think I answered your question, but it is hard to stay focused, but I can say I usually always finish my projects, unless I just don't like them.
I guess, do what you will enjoy.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I sit down the night before and decide what I want to start, sometimes pull fabric for the project, and then go to bed.

The next day I get up, get online, spend hours doing nothing constructive, go out to eat, come home, read, design tomorrow's project, then go to bed.

Beginning to realize, since the advent of QB in my life, I'm not a quilter, I'm a procrastinator. :?

Jan in VA
:lol: I'm afraid QB is going to do that to me too.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 AM

I accepted the March UFO challenge. While looking for something to finish, I found several more that needed attention. I don't know why I stopped on them to begin with. I'm thinking that this March challenge will end in the year 2020, provided I start nothing else in between. Not likely.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Sometimes projects "happen" to me - people get married, have babies, buy their first new home. These are not planned projects. I've also taken a few online classes so therefore the project was decided on the class (which was based on a technique I wanted to learn).

*MY* projects - I see something I like and I make it. Inspiration comes from everywhere, LQS, magazines, this board of course, nature, quilt shows, TV ... whatever. Like everyone else,

I've got patterns and fabric that I've not yet used but I'm
confident that they'll all be paired up into a quilt some day.

DogHouseMom---You mentioned an online class. I'm presuming it was a quilting class. If so, how could I find one? Am interested. Thanks. Marge L.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 PM

what a great idea! I think I'll start mine.

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have a notebook titled "What I Want to Make Next" with patterns in plastic sleeves. I keep moving the pages forward and backwards. At least it makes me feel like I have a plan and a method to my madness
Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM

I do the exact same thing. lol.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Jan in VA
Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM

Thank you for your ideas. I do have a notebook but nothing pressing on the list. I started the one for my GD which of course wasn't on the list. lol