Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim quilt >

Denim quilt

Denim quilt

Old 11-09-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
i used a circle that i could fit a 4" square inside of -- and luckily i found a plastic lid the right size that i used for a template
i just keep sewing them together -- don't know if it will ever get done & not too worried if i will be too big or not --
I did that and it did not need to have batting or backing so it is not too heavy and contrary to what Meyert did, I made a smaller one and use it for the trunk of our car. It washes just find, just like jeans and the trunk does not get too dirty with stuff that we put in it sometimes... You can make the block as big as you want. I even used some parts of old bed sheets that were still good "enough"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535275[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2015-05-02a-courtepointe-de-jeans-us%E9s-pour-coffre-auto.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Just keep in mind that denim quilts tend to be quite heavy.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I did 6 1/2 inch squares, made a rag quilt with fleece in between and flannel at the back. It is big enough to lay over the top (only) of our QS bed. My husband loves heavy quilts. Ours is heavy, but can fit in our big toploader machine. Snipping the edges for the rag effect took awhile. Used spring loaded Fiskars snips. Quilt is in constant use (except summer) and is going strong (made in 2009). I am keen to make a circle quilt one day. Though most womens jeans these days have elastane (which is not good for quilting).
Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Banned

Thank you all for the info and the pictures of complete
denim quilts.

Sadly though I can't use the jeans for purses because my
hubs split the jeans from the bottom of the zipper all the
way up the back to waistband.

When I cut the legs from the jeans I cut right along the
edges of the pockets. Trying to get as much use as I
can from the denim.

This I am going to need more than 3-5 pairs of jeans though.

LOL
Old 11-09-2015, 06:53 AM

I have been saving jeans to. My friend has two quilts lovingly called Mr Blankets made with 9 and 12 inch blocks to help keep seam weight down they are wonderful. Both are huge about queen.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 AM

I cut these into 5" squares and then used a pocket for the label for my grandson...
Attached Thumbnails img_3218-1.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 AM

I made a large twin quilt for the hubby from denim squares cut to 6". I made the top rag style and backed with flannel and no batting. I did some fmq in each square....just a bit to secure the top to backing. It turned out great and hubby loves it. I would cut as large of squares as you can get without wasting fabric. Anything larger than a twin will be very heavy to deal with at the sewing machine...and the washer! Can you imagine pulling a queen sized wet denim quilt out of the washer!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I cut the jeans a couple inches below the crotch past the bottom of the inside pockets. I have others that I have taken the pockets off. But the last few pair, I give to my neighbor. She makes duffel bags out of them. This past Saturday I went to the SA near me and got some tall men and big guy (3x plus)jeans for %50 off already discounted ticketed price. We both washed them and cut them to her specs. She attached Velcro to tops of pockets to stay closed. These will be donated to Women and children's shelters. The teenage boys like these best. the zippers stay In place for the opening. It's rare but when I find corduroy, I grab it.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Like I posted my hubs is a BIG guy his shirt are 5 or 6 XL,
not sure what size his jeans are I just know they are big
in the tush and long (since he is 6'3").

I love all the answers you have provided me, and love the
photos of denim quilts that have been shared.

Keep sharing those photos, I am getting lots of inspiration
from seeing them.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
My first one I made with 7" blocks. The second one I changed to 8" blocks, and was pleasantly surprised with how much less sewing there was for the same finished size. The next 4 were 8" also.
I'm in the process of making one, alternating with squares from men's shirts. I thought I would make 7" blocks with 1/2" seams, but maybe I'll use 8" blocks instead. I'm making this for a friend who lost her significant other recently. He was a fairly small man, so it will depend on which fits better with his jeans and shirts.