Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim quilt >

Denim quilt

Denim quilt

Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 AM

Hi I am bank I just googled and it is junk jeans people her name is Luveta Nickles and I also went tp You tube and she is also there and some videos using junk jeans video she can really change your mind on old jeans you will never get rid of a pair again
Old 11-10-2015, 06:40 AM
pal

I made a utility blanket out of old jeans and the back of my old couch slipcovers. That fabric was like brand new because no one ever sat on the back of the couch!!! Ta Dah!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 AM

My last blue jean quilt was backed with fleece chosen by the giftee. I used 6 in. squares, the birthing method and tied. I was not sure how well I could get a binding on. I was super pleased with the end result. [ATTACH=CONFIG]535366[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]535367[/ATTACH]
I wished I would have remembered to sew four blocks of blocks vs sewing row by row.
I have a 1951 Singer 15-91 just for creating blue jean quilts! (and because I love her!)
Still have a learning curve with posting pics!
Attached Thumbnails blue-jean-quilt.jpg   polar-fleece-bj-quilt.jpg  
Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 AM

I made a denim quilt that was similar to a rag quilt without the "rag". I cut everything on the bias (denim and I used homespun for the back). I cut the squares, sandwiched a piece of bat between them and quilted an X across the square. I then put the squares together like a rag quilt with 1/2" seams. When washed the edges curl because they are on the bias and it make a pretty quilt without the fraying and mess of a rag quilt. Hope this makes sense.

I also took my seam ripper and took the pockets off. The denim under the pockets is a different shade of blue and it made for interesting pattern on the blocks. I used the pockets for a variety of things like pockets on bags and also used them to make potholders. You can also take the flat felled seams and roll them to make coasters much like you do with the clothes line projects some make. At Guild we made fidget mats for nursing homes and used the pockets and waist bands and zippers on the fidget mats. People with dementia use the fidget mats. Very little goes to waste with a pair of jeans around here!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:38 AM

Go to www.pinterest.com and search for "recycle denim". You'll be amazed!!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I saved my kids jeans for a while and last year I made a couple of those "circle" quilts. I really like how they turned out - but they are heavy, but they are big. I am saving jeans again and I think I will make one 50" x 60" or so with fleece backing. I will probably just do simple squares - the biggest size I can get from the jeans I will be working on [ATTACH=CONFIG]535241[/ATTACH]
I have one similar to this in progress (and have for awhile...it's a long process, lol) and for the center squares I'm using a bunch of fleece scraps, no batting. It's going to be heavy no matter what, though. I'm aiming for a large throw-size for mine, about 72" square is my "standard" size.

I used an Accuquilt die for the circle, it has all the "ragging" snips pre-done. My hands can't take all the snipping needed to rag a quilt properly, so for me this is about the only way to go.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

My SIL made several denim quilts made from her children's outgrown jeans. She even used the pockets on the quilt as a decorative element. I think she used 5-6" squares that were tied to a flannel backing. Granted it was a bit on the heavy side, but once, while visiting, I had the Luxury, yes luxury of sleeping under two of them. It brought back wonderful memories of the heavy quilts and blankets I slept under as a child. When one of my brothers passed away she taught that SIL to make the quilts using his old jeans. He was also a large man, 6'2" and over 300 lbs. so she was able to make quilts for each of their 4 children as a memory quilt of their father.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:57 AM

These are al such lovely quilts!

When people refer to "Circle Quilts" are they the same as the "Cathedral Windows" quilts of long ago? I've always wanted to make one of those.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:37 PM

Check this gal out. Her name is Heather Banks and she mainly does denim and designs quilt patterns for them:http://www.inventivedenim.com/. I found her last year while looking for information on denim quilts. She also has a blog: http://www.inventivedenim.com/blog/.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks for asking this question, Quilty-Louise. I never thought I'd make a jean quilt but all the suggestions and pictures have inspired me. Quiltedsunshine, I love your ideas with the squares and rectangles. So glad you shared. And caspharm, thank-you for sharing that website and blog. She had some really fun ideas.

My mother made a jean quilt backed with plaid flannel that we used for every picnic. If we didn't need it to sit on we used it for a tablecloth on tables where we would picnic. Such fond memories go along with that quilt.