Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Determining color values >

Determining color values

Determining color values

Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 PM

Default Determining color values

I will be doing a Pat Wys Neutrals workshop with my guild. My question is when determining color value, as we are to use lights and darks, what color background is best to use to get the most accurate "reading"? I picked out a couple that could read more medium but loved the fabric so much and how it looked with what else I chose, I need to figure out where it should go. So should I use a white background? Black? Neutral? I don't want to get frustrated and go back to square one and buy more fabric. From the books I have looked at of hers there is a definite distinction but I really like what I picked out and really want to use it. I will be doing the Scrappy Nine pattern if that helps any.

Thanks so much
Old 01-30-2015, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

Some people scan their fabric onto the computer and then switch to black and white to show values. You can also look through a red plastic filter to help see values. They sell a special tool for this but you can use a clear red plastic file folder or similar to look through to get the effect. For choosing a background fabric, it depends on your fabrics. I tend to like bright coloured fabrics paired with black.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 PM

You can also photograph with mobile or camera and the switch to black and white. This way makes the process more portable. Now follow Tartan ways.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!! I guess I'm not the only one with insomnia!!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

Often for value color runs I line the fabrics up with about 2" of each showing, snap a picture, put it on computer then print it in ( grayscale) -- that makes it easy to see the values & if something isn't in the right position I can cut apart my 2" strips & play around with placement
Old 01-31-2015, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

There are many color values acrylics available. I used the red color acrylic made by That Patchwork Place. But I get frustrating sometimes so I scan the fabric and save as a B&W photo. Here is my latest Bargello that is proving to be a challenge. Not happy with one of the fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails sheryl-barg-bw-2.jpg  
Old 01-31-2015, 09:14 AM

I get the basic concept of a Bargello...an adaption of a flame stitch. In a Bargello quilt, or the ones I have seen so far, the way it is constructed can use bold transitions in colors or be more subtle, then a playful use of "waves" and intersections or more calm construction...so I get that a lot of this is purely subjective. However, when I look at this gray scale photograph, I get the basic concept and that is: by doing this you are able to exclude patterns and get down to the saturation of the basic color in each fabric that is chosen. So what I am trying to do here is not question ManiacQuilter2's taste, but why she is struggling with just one fabric choice and I am struggling with more than one fabric in this gray scale?

Once again I am trying to use this as a learning experience.

If we start from the left (assuming that the colors are different saturations within a single color?) then my eye struggles with the truly ultra subtle difference between #1,#2 and #3 and the last color #12, to my eye, having nearly the same "punch" as fabric #4. So how does this filter actually work and aren't you better off just picking what really pleases you? I can see if you are possibly making an art quilt and you have made the sky into a gray scale and then went out and bought a lot of blues, whites etc and you use this ruby filter to make sure you are close to what you are trying to duplicate.

I am asking this because I was considering using just such a filter for a future project...so now that this posting has raised this issue...am I seeing this wrong and do we really need both a color picture and a gray scale...or what? I have a feeling some, if not all, of the fabrics chosen are batiks and they have some pretty amazing variations within a dominant color, but once you use this filter maybe this kills too much of the differences. Confused here
Old 01-31-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Basketman View Post
I get the basic concept of a Bargello...an adaption of a flame stitch. In a Bargello quilt, or the ones I have seen so far, the way it is constructed can use bold transitions in colors or be more subtle, then a playful use of "waves" and intersections or more calm construction...so I get that a lot of this is purely subjective. However, when I look at this gray scale photograph, I get the basic concept and that is: by doing this you are able to exclude patterns and get down to the saturation of the basic color in each fabric that is chosen. So what I am trying to do here is not question ManiacQuilter2's taste, but why she is struggling with just one fabric choice and I am struggling with more than one fabric in this gray scale?

Once again I am trying to use this as a learning experience.

If we start from the left (assuming that the colors are different saturations within a single color?) then my eye struggles with the truly ultra subtle difference between #1,#2 and #3 and the last color #12, to my eye, having nearly the same "punch" as fabric #4. So how does this filter actually work and aren't you better off just picking what really pleases you? I can see if you are possibly making an art quilt and you have made the sky into a gray scale and then went out and bought a lot of blues, whites etc and you use this ruby filter to make sure you are close to what you are trying to duplicate.

I am asking this because I was considering using just such a filter for a future project...so now that this posting has raised this issue...am I seeing this wrong and do we really need both a color picture and a gray scale...or what? I have a feeling some, if not all, of the fabrics chosen are batiks and they have some pretty amazing variations within a dominant color, but once you use this filter maybe this kills too much of the differences. Confused here
Basketman .... with specifics to bargello, it is important to get your values of the same color in the correct order to help define the flow of the overall piece. My avatar is a good example of a monotone bargello with good value scale. When we talk about "value" we are talking about the degree of light to dark, without regard to color.

When working with a two color bargello (with colors not next to each other on the color wheel) the blues are usually next to the blues, and the yellows next to the yellows and within each you would sort them from lightest to darkest.

When using two colors that are next to each other on the color wheel ... orange to red ... they are usually handled as a single color and sorted in value. This can get tricky as one of the oranges can appear to be a darker value (when viewed in black and white). Here one should attempt to sort by both color and value.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:07 PM

ACYDROMA, squint your eyes up pretty tight and look at your pieces. Some things will jump out at you real easy. It helps.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

There are many color value tools to use.
Here are just a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKF_H6MGL3U

http://www.cottagemills.com/store/colorevaluator.html

http://sewredglasses.com/index.php/color-value-101