Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I pay too much? >

Did I pay too much?

Did I pay too much?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:34 AM

The "S" in MSRP stands for "suggested."
Old 03-25-2015, 04:26 AM

I had Bernina 820 and it gave me so much trouble I finally traded it in for a 550 quilyers edition. The woman that owns the shop traded me even for the 550 and traded even for the insert for my table. All the feet I bought for my 820 fit the 550.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:17 AM

But another fascet of anyone's business is repeat business and recomendations from established customers. Small business cannot afford to have one time only customers. Even if they are the only business of that kind in town, repeat business is a large and potentially growing percentage of their business. The not great experience gets "out" and that's not good. Customers are not like paper plates - disposable - even if some businesses think so.

Pat
Old 03-25-2015, 06:34 AM

How do you find the MSRP on the new machines? Online there is information on the specs, features and loads of videos, but NO prices. I like to have an idea before I'm in the store. Now that prices are $8,000 to $12,000, it's good to be prepared.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

The Bernina dealer closest to me has a price tag on all the machines. Her shop wins awards at the Bernina Convention for being one of the best. Her prices are much lower then the MSRP.

When I bought my Janome Jem, the dealer wouldn't honor the promotion that was buy a Jem get a quilter's foot package free. He said he wasn't doing the promotion. He said he would give me a carrying bag. The bag came free with any of the Jems then. I bought it elsewhere. I have never went back to that dealer.

Oh when my community group decided to buy Janome Jems for a learn to sew class and this same dealer thought he would get the contract. I squashed that in a second.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-25-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 AM

You can always get a lower price online. This is great at the start for your pocketbook, "BUT" then comes the other things. Online stores have customer service, "BUT" it's not in person like at the local store. On line sales something come with some extras, "BUT" so do local dealers. If you need a tune up some of the online stores are not able to help you, "BUT" that means you have to find a local store to help you. Online stores can send you DVD's for learning to use your new machine (you can also find how to's on line), "BUT" your local store has a live person to walk you through (I smart, but sometimes I need that personal help - I'm more of a "Monkey see, Monkey do" kinda gal). Your local dealer will be happy to do classes for you after you have made an on line purchase, but you will have to pay for them. In my area the price runs $45.00 per hour for privet help with out of store purchase. I purches local, because the local dealer is a small business just as I am (I like to be supported locally and I like to support locally too). Also when I have had trouble, I'm able to get help right now from a person. My serger is older and one of the harder to thread (at the time of purchase it was new and so cool, but not like the new ones today), I am still able to take my machine in and they will tread it for me every time (looking at the YOUtube video on threading my machine is of NO help, because it is such a bear). So for me the $100.00 difference between online and local shopping is no savings. I think that the savings is like so many other things, it's personal (for me no savings it would end up costing me more money over time, but for you it might be a great deal and not cost you more). Your purchase needs to be something you are comfortable with, and when your comfortable then it's a "Good Deal".
Old 03-25-2015, 08:30 AM

Did you factor the cost of shipping? Sometimes I find that is exhorbidant.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 AM

Hi, All,

Thanks for all the advice and support. I think y'all are right: I got a decent deal for a machine that was exactly what I wanted: beautiful stitch quality, no bells and whistles, lightweight, and mechanical (I don't know why, but, for some reason, I think a mechanical machine is better for traveling).

Still, I do wish pricing as related to sewing machines was more transparent. Someone on this thread compared the process to walking into a car dealership and that feels more or less accurate. I don't want to disparage the people who work at these stores, especially not the woman who sold me the Janome MyStyle--who was patient, helpful, answered all my questions, and sold me a good machine. I just wish more stores were like Sewnoma's local shop, which--as she mentioned earlier in this thread--tagged each machine with a card that listed MSRP, trade-in, sales, etc. It wasn't so much the price of my new machine that bothered me (it was, after all, about what I had been planning to spend) as the fact that their "original" price was so much higher than the MSRP. Furthermore, the fact that nothing about their pricing or trade-in policy was written anywhere for a customer to verify or look up (not on a receipt, not on their website, etc.). One can do a lot of research on specific machines before walking into a store--and I did--but if I can't do any research about the store itself or verify anything an employee tells me about their various policies, then they'll always have the upper hand and, at least theoretically, be able to make things up on the spot without my being able to say boo.

But, I'm going to stop thinking about this now--and take more of y'all's advice: to ENJOY my new machine!

Thanks again,
A
Old 03-25-2015, 10:41 AM

While I do understand where you (original poster) are coming from...I have to honestly say that I would never purchase a sewing machine via the internet. By going through a dealer to purchase a machine, you are also gaining the dealer's expertise and support. While you may be buying a very basic machine, if there are any issues with it, your dealer should stand behind the sale. Just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 PM

My big objection would be being lied to. I never afterwards trust anyone who lies to me. Of course, had she told you that both machines were the same, she may have lost a sale. Still......

You got the machine you wanted, and a discount which you were happy with, so I'd stop thinking about it.....if I could. But I might, next time I'm at the dealership, politely let the woman know that I knew she'd been less than honest.