Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I pay too much? >

Did I pay too much?

Did I pay too much?

Old 03-24-2015, 04:14 AM

I'd like to think the sales-person there was just mistaken about the MSRP. It has never been $449. It routinely sells for $249 but it is has been around for several years and at one point, it was selling closer to $200. In those years, Janome has had a couple of steep price increases across the board. It is up to each dealer what prices are so maybe the one you purchased from is generally just higher than some others. It wasn't a screaming deal but I suspect based on what you say, they will not make $$ on the machine you traded. If they re-sell it at all, it will have to be completely serviced first and may possibly need replacement parts and they'd need to provide some type of warranty either 30-90 days at least. It may've seemed risky to her that she could re-sell it. The fact remains that you will be a little more wary of that dealer now if you one day want to trade up or buy another machne. I would feel the same as you....she should not defend the MSRP without at least checking first...but i think you'd have paid the same regardless...she just wanted you to feel you were getting something for your trade-in but i don't think that was worth misrepresenting the facts if in fact thats what she did.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 AM

A lot of companies do this. Like if you buy a car straight up, you get a better deal than with a trade in. When I bought my serger at a show, they didn't even mention trade ins. When I was talking with them they said they couldn't give me the machine at the show cost, plus the 5yr warranty plus all the accessories and do the trade in. They'd lose in the end. Plus if you'd ordered it online you would have paid shipping so I'm sure that would have been at least half of additional cost you paid the store. And when you buy from a store they are more willing to help if you have a problem with the machine than if you bought it some place else.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:26 AM

My dealer has a little card on each display machine that lists MSRP, the trade-in discount, any other discounts/sales they're running, any freebies or extras they're throwing in, and the final price. They really don't seem to do a lot of haggling from there, it's pretty much all laid out on the table and that's that.

I like it that way. I'm not a good haggler, and would rather just see the price I'm going to be charged and decide if I want to buy or not on my own time. I might be able to get a better deal from another dealer but I like my dealer and want them to stick around.

Unfortunately, I found a real estate listing for their shop; it looks like they're getting ready to retire. I'm happy for them but sad for me!!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Buying a DSM is as difficult as buying a new car. You have to realize that a brick and mortar store has more expenses that they have to cover than an online store doesn't. Who is going to help you with lessons and be there when you have had an accident? You just have to make the personal decision between service and price. Sometimes you can make up the difference with price by asking for free maintenance service for a few years. It is just like dealing with buy a new car.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM

Its all pretty dicey. If the majority of sewing machine shoppers were male, this would change and fast. My dealer here stopped putting prices on machines at all. If you're interested in one, you have to ask the sales person who then has to go look it up in a book so if you don't do your homework before you shop, you could find yourself looking at a machine that costs 3x more than you want to spend.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

MSRP means manufacturer's "suggested" retail price. Some can charge more or less. I always take into consideration service availability and I check out reviews. When you walk into the shop, do they out source the repairs or handle the repairs themselves. Also what is the turn around time for repairs? All those situations factor in to the cost. Also attitude makes a big difference. Do your due diligence!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM

Do you like the machine? Was it within your budget? The deal is done. No sense in fretting. Enjoy.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM

I quit buying Berninas, no matter how well I like them because of the same stuff! I am NOT going to futz around with someone who (seems to me, anyway...) is looking for an opportunity to nail me on the pricing. IF you have a product for sale, what is wrong with at least putting the MSRP out there? Then let the dealers go at it instead of making the buyer get them the best price? I just bought two new Janome's which would have been Berninas...but no thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 PM

I think a sewing machine is like anything else we buy out there, because like around the holiday's they have more sales and better deals. I talked to a dealer he said he went to a shop were they smothered him with deal after deal trying to make him buy a sewing machine. He said he didn't like that about a dealer being so pushy and sale like that, he felt when your more friendly and nicer to people they come back to the shop.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:43 PM

I think you got a good deal! Worrying about if you got screwed is counter productive! Start sewing and have fun with your new machine!