Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I pay too much? >

Did I pay too much?

Did I pay too much?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:03 PM

When you buy online from Amazon or some other online business, they don't have to pay overhead, so can sell cheaper. The LQS doesn't get the same wholesale price as Amazon, because Amazon buys thousands of machines at the same time. Your LQS may buy 10 at at time. so doesn't make as much money on the sale as Amazon does. However, when you buy from a LQS, you get a warranty, classes, and someone to answer your questions. If something goes wrong with a machine you bought online, and IF it has a warranty, you'd have to ship it somewhere for service.

Also, some of the machines on Amazon are made specifically to be sold online, and are stripped down. There are certain models of Juki machines that we won't sell, because the customer can get a better price online, so we don't bother with that particular model.

I know Bernina's policy is that their dealers are not allowed to post prices, because they want you to buy from your LOCAL Bernina dealer -- they don't want dealers to have to compete against each other. On their website, they advertise the MSRP price, which is WAY higher than what you'd actually pay at the store. And a dealer who orders more machines, gets a bigger price break. But the individual dealers get to set their own price, within certain peramaters set by Bernina.

There are rules that have to be followed in order to be a "dealer" of any sewing machine. Amazon doesn't have to follow those rules.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:57 PM

Before I bought my Husqvarna 875Q, I let my local dealer know I'd be at a major quilting show on the mainland. She called the owner of the mini-chain (five stores) and gave me their lowest price.

I bought my 875Q for over a $1000 less and got a newer version of the machine. Husqvarna requires their dealers to honor the warranties for the machine no matter where it is bought. I am a happy owner and have renewed my service agreement every year for its annual cleaning-checkup at the local dealer.

Bottom line: if you don't buy from a local dealer, make sure your brand is guaranteed to be under warranty by your local dealer.

BTW, when a dealer tells you they won't honor the warranty if you don't buy from them, what happens when you move across country? Are you supposed to ship your machine across the country for its annual checkup because your new local dealer won't honor the warranty?

One more reason to love Husqvarna!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:48 PM

By purchasing that machine under the janome name, you probably paid a little more than buying the same janome manufactured machine with a different brand name. Having said that, $250 is not an outrageous price got that machine. It is fair. No bargain. But certainly fair. If you get excellent service from your dealer, you did good. Please understand, however, you bought a $200 sewing machine. It's fine. It's very lightweight & portable. You will love it for classes. In an industry where machines cost any where from $69 at Walmart to $15,000 at dealers, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:55 PM

Seriously, y'all think you can buy your machine on line or at a show & expect you'll get the same service as if you buy at LQS? Have you ever considered that the LQS salesperson is much like a waitress (dependent on commissions - like tips?). The salespeople at shows LIE. Maybe the dealer gets a few
Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 PM

Bucks for machine sold at a show, but the gal who teaches you how to use a machine bought elsewhere has been robbed of her sales commission & is just being nice - hoping to get the next sale. On line sales are worst Consumers buy machines at a marginal profit from Amazon but expect great customer service at the LQS for machines bought on-line. Fair is fair. Rock bottom prices = zero service. Fair, honest dealers support their products with good prices, free classes, warranty service & compassionate personnel. Buy local, save money and establish good reationships
Old 03-27-2015, 04:11 AM

Just what do you do if a dealer doesn't carry the brand you want and won't order it?
Local Brother dealer wanted nothing to do with the PQ1500S. Wouldn't order it. I've asked Viking and Pfaff dealers about their quilters, and they prefer to sell sit downs or frame like Tin Lizzie or Juki. A Babylock dealer would get me a Jane if I asked. Janome does have the 2010 in the store. I wanted the Brother.

You start shopping out of town. If the store carries other supplies, so much the better. Too bad for the locals in that case. If the dealer you bought the machine from can schedule a class for you, you can drive there at your convenience. It's mostly local dealers at shows except for the big quilting machines and software.

However, I do not expect warranty work from the dealer as I didn't buy it there, but I would expect him to order an accessory or part I want.

Some stores do offer classes and you can use one of their machines in a class. If all you want is technique that is not machine related, those classes do work and since they charge for them, you can take it with a different machine.

If you live in a high density population area, you probably can find a local dealer. The largest town south of us only has 1 LQS. A lot drive here or to Denver to shop. There have been posts here where people need to drive 80 miles to a decent dealer or fabric store.