Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different 1/4" seams with 2 Brothers' presser foot >

Different 1/4" seams with 2 Brothers' presser foot

Different 1/4" seams with 2 Brothers' presser foot

Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Default Different 1/4" seams with 2 Brothers' presser foot

I am making a Hidden Wells quilt. I put it away for way too long.

When I returned to finish it and sewed the last 4 strip panels, I, apparently, used a different 1/4" foot (both made for my Brothers' machine). The second foot made a larger seam. Didn't realize it until I sewed all 4 pieces (9 strips each). I had to rip all of the seams in order to start over. I pressed the strips to get them back to a straight strip (they had stretched when ripped). I went over all seams with an eraser, which I purchased at Dollar General for $1.00 and it was amazing. It easily removed all of the bits of thread. The strips are now pressed and ready to resew. Lesson learned. Yolanda Wood River
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Boy I hear you on this one...What I do now, is take one of the previous blocks made and measure the sewn seam on my machine and set it to match the seam from the blocks made before....
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the eraser tip!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
I am making a Hidden Wells quilt. I put it away for way too long.

When I returned to finish it and sewed the last 4 strip panels, I, apparently, used a different 1/4" foot (both made for my Brothers' machine). The second foot made a larger seam. Didn't realize it until I sewed all 4 pieces (9 strips each). I had to rip all of the seams in order to start over. I pressed the strips to get them back to a straight strip (they had stretched when ripped). I went over all seams with an eraser, which I purchased at Dollar General for $1.00 and it was amazing. It easily removed all of the bits of thread. The strips are now pressed and ready to resew. Lesson learned. Yolanda Wood River

Do not pull the seam open when you rip out and you won't have stretched edges. Just clip every 4 to 5 stitches on one side and pull the thread out on the other side.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
Boy I hear you on this one...What I do now, is take one of the previous blocks made and measure the sewn seam on my machine and set it to match the seam from the blocks made before....
Perfect solution. I am a "seasoned" seamtress and can't believe that I made this mistake. Hopefully, never again. Thanks for your insight and input. Yolanda
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM

I purchased a ruler from e-Bay that shows an accurate 1/4 inch,a scant 1/4 inch. I don't remember who I purchased it from, but, I would think you could go to e-Bay and find it. It's a small acrylic tool to measure accurately. It cost me a few bucks,it was worth it.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
I purchased a ruler from e-Bay that shows an accurate 1/4 inch,a scant 1/4 inch. I don't remember who I purchased it from, but, I would think you could go to e-Bay and find it. It's a small acrylic tool to measure accurately. It cost me a few bucks,it was worth it.
Thank you. I am going to look for it. I obviously need it. LOL Yolanda
Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

​Man, don't you hate that! Well at least you fixed it and it didn't end up a UFO.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM

I have had this happen way too often when switching machines -- I use a lined note card to figure out where the 1/4" seam is on each of the different machines I own. It is annoying for sure.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:33 PM

I feel your pain. I have 2 Brother machines. The 1/4" foot on one is not even really close to being 1/4". It is quite a bit over. The other one is just perfect. Of course, the feet are not interchangeable. That would be too easy.