Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Haven't ever entered a quilt...have been to several shows, one very large, couple midsize...and one very small here in TX...the smaller the show, the more critical they are...and biased...like they know a quilter, and no matter what else...that quilt gets the biggest prize ($7.00), but still.

I think that some of the really larger shows do have to look at every little detail...so many near perfect quilts...you have to find a way to eliminate some.

But, for those smaller shows...I also think the judges are trying to show they are good at what they do.

Don't take it to heart. Look at what they said...sit back, quilt in hand...were they correct, had it not been your quilt, would you have seen the same things on the binding?

I don't know that I'll ever enter a quilt in a show, large or small...I may...but just not sure...mainly for the fact that I know my quilts aren't perfect...I make quilts because I want to try a new pattern, technique...and usually not the most perfect. Others tell me they are..but I am just aware that judges are very picky (have to be) ...and if I see my faults...they probably will also.

One thing I hate...to see a less than perfect quilt (and not as pretty) win over a beautiful quilt because of one tiny thread left, etc...but mostly because the first quilt is by a friend or guild member...or is just more local. If you are going to judge...I think it should be done in a blind judging session...and if you see a quilt and KNOW who made it...excuse yourself from commenting on that quilt.

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I entered three of my art quilts in a local small town show. There were 200 quilts and I did not expect to win, but the judge's comments were very critical of my binding. Very little was even said about the quilts themselves. I know it is a small town and maybe more traditional but it has really hurt my self confidence in my quilting. Anyone else had this experience.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

judges remarks should be limited to the facts about the quilt that would help improve future quilting. Judging is objective so if one doesn't like a particular style of quilt, you may be in for some critical remarks. no matter how neutral they try to be.

don't be discouraged. Use the info you got to improve on future projects.
peace :thumbup:

EDIT: I keep entering contests just to make everyone else look good!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Sorry about your exper. I did enter a quilt show once and was given the choice to have a Prof. Judge , judge it or just the public voting. I am not perfect and do know I will never be so just let the public choose which they like. I wonderd through the show and just pict what I like. Some people are vendictive and only pick their friends. There are 2 factions in the Guild I belong to and Some members think they are it(upperclass)$500.00 millionairs and the rest of us-just plain folk that like to quilt and have fun. So it is a challange to do things their. The uppers gossip and cause lots of trouble in all kinds of ways; incl those that own :inhome shops)stores or Gammel quilting machine that are computerized. Quilting itself is another subject. Stay loose kid and you are not alone, their are alot of us out here. Consider yourself hugged,
Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM

I've only entered twice. and each time it's like steping off the side of a building!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM

Take a step back. Put the comments away for a couple of weeks. Work on another project. Then take the comments out and read them again. See what honestly applies and what doesn't. What you thiink applies. Learn from what does apply and ignore the rest. But for goodness sake never let those comments make you doubt yourself! Remember the only person you need to please is yourself!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM

No to the same experience...but I think your quilts are just beautiful. And like the group said, their comments aren't designed to tear your heart out (though they can..), make you feel insecure (again, though they can...)or just generally hurt your feelings. They're designed to HELP us all learn...I guess in a sense, the judges ARE the "quilt police". I'd like to encourage you to take the criticism in a constructive manner...
anything more you do to your quilts can only make them more spectacular than they already are!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM

You are just living through a visit by the quilt police. We think you are terrific even before you show us your quilts. My 'masterpiece quilt', that gets raves when I show it to friends, has a very obviously crooked area in the binding. I had a small seizure while trimming. Quilt police would call it trash, but my nieces are fighting over who get it when I am gone. Nothing a judge would say about it, would be as big a thrill as having my DNs fighting over it. (I am making each of them a quilt of their own, they just don't get to know that, until they unwrap them.) Whose opinion should matter more?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 PM

I've also never entered a judged show but I have heard comments from those that have that the judges made 2 positive comments for 1 critical one.... did your judges give any positive feedback?

We need to know what we did right/good as well as where we can improve.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM

It wasn't that the comments about the binding hurt my feelings. It was just that I had hoped for some constructive criticism on my design or quilting or artistic style. I don't feel hurt by all they said but I do hate for creativity to count less than binding.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by Cozy quilter
You would find if you were a stranger the comments would be more favourable. Sometimes when they know a person the criticisms come out. Go figure. Bet your quilt was gorgeous and would love to see it posted.
Typically judges do not know the name of any quiltmaker whose work they are judging...unless it's a world famous quilt. The names are covered before the judges ever see the quilts. Additionally, if a judge has any personal knowledge of a quilt, he is supposed to recuse himself from judging it. To imply that a judge would unduly criticize a quilt because he knew the maker is ridiculous.
Maybe where you're from, but not everywhere! froggyintexas