Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disaster strikes my Elna in the form of the seamstress. >

Disaster strikes my Elna in the form of the seamstress.

Disaster strikes my Elna in the form of the seamstress.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
I have a 43-year old Elna which is wonderful and sews so beautifully until last night. I was hurrying to finish a 4th of July table topper to gift a couple today, when my focus wandered and I got my spatula that I was using to hold the ditches in line for quilting under the needle and the needle struck the spatula. Well, it won't sew anything now. I don't know if I bent a shaft or threw it out of time. I am just sick as I have a quilt top nearly finished, several waiting and now my machine is on the fritz thanks to my carelessness. It literally has never been in the shop for repairs. Just an occasional cleaning and I have worn out three feet.
Plus this machine has been so faithful and I have injured her! Just makes me sick and I am wondering how stiff the repair bill will be!! Or if it can be repaired???? In the meantime, I have withdrawal because I can't sew. Have a manual in the basement that I have never used but may try to fire it up and see what happens. Did anyone else ever do such a careless trick?
Wish you were close to me I would loan you one. I can't stand the thought of not being able to sew. So sorry about your baby, maybe it won't take to many $ to fix her.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 PM

Glad it was an easy fix. I had a part break on my Elna 9000 and they couldn't get a replacement so I had to change machines. It had been a faithful machine
Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Just wanted to say that I want an older Elna very badly. There is a second hand store in town that sells old machines that have been restored and she has an Elna I want. She wouldn't tell me the price last time I was in there, so I couldn't decide if I could afford it or not, but maybe if I return again, she might have figured out what price to sell it for. Hope you get yours fixed. Wish I had one!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 AM

So glad to hear your good news. I felt terrible for you and your trusty sidekick.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 AM

I hear you on the "vintage????" I too have become vintage with my old trusty Pfaff.....we refuse to be aware of that....