Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disaster strikes my Elna in the form of the seamstress.

Disaster strikes my Elna in the form of the seamstress.

I have a 43-year old Elna which is wonderful and sews so beautifully until last night. I was hurrying to finish a 4th of July table topper to gift a couple today, when my focus wandered and I got my spatula that I was using to hold the ditches in line for quilting under the needle and the needle struck the spatula. Well, it won't sew anything now. I don't know if I bent a shaft or threw it out of time. I am just sick as I have a quilt top nearly finished, several waiting and now my machine is on the fritz thanks to my carelessness. It literally has never been in the shop for repairs. Just an occasional cleaning and I have worn out three feet.
    Plus this machine has been so faithful and I have injured her! Just makes me sick and I am wondering how stiff the repair bill will be!! Or if it can be repaired???? In the meantime, I have withdrawal because I can't sew. Have a manual in the basement that I have never used but may try to fire it up and see what happens. Did anyone else ever do such a careless trick?

Blog Entries
    Oh, bummer! My guess is you threw it out of time, which definitely means a trip to the sewing machine doctor. Too bad you don't have a backup machine. I doubt you bent a shaft, that machine is old enough it's probably all heavy-duty metal inside. I'm surprised you were using a spatula, they're so big! I use a chopstick sharpened to a point with a pencil sharpener.

Hope you get her back up and running soon!

Well, it is a small spatula used for scrapbooking. Not very wide nor thick, but big enough, I guess. It was the first time I had ever used it, it was laying nearby and I thought that would sure work well, and it does, but won't use it again.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure there's going to be some "quilting and cooking at the same time with a spatula" puns, that I'm not going to go there. But sorry to hear of your machine problems.

Power Poster
    Hope it's fixable (inexpensively) - I can feel for you!

Oh Dear!! I hope everything works out good. Bad things happen to me every time I hurry or am very tired.

Blog Entries
    So sorry this happen to you. Life is all live and learn even in the fun stuff. My first new machine I bought for quilting I messed up. Thank goodness it was an easy repair. This is why I left the shop with a second identical machine. A buy I have never regretted.
    Got fabric?

I would be in bad shape if I mess up my machine..All I have is a $99 Brother machine I bought in Walmart..altho it has serviced me great for years so far. I really should pick up another machine for back up. I Do always have a hand project going to break the monotony at times, but there are times I just NEED to have my machine.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure she'll forgive you but I agree with everyone that a trip to the emergency room (aka repair shop) is in order. Timing is most likely whacked. That used to happen to my older Singer regularly and it was usually something I did.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Well, here I am with egg on my face! I am reminded of the verse, "Weeping lasts for a night, but joy comes in the morning." Well, joy did come. I took it to the LQS in Ottumwa, Iowa. There a very kind owner looked at my machine and lo and behold, I didn't have the crazy needle far enough up in the shank! Now I have changed probably thousands of needles, even took this one out, turned it around to be sure I had it in properly, re-read the needle package to be sure I had the right ones, etc., etc., but he said that sometimes in older machines lint accumulates and it is hard to get them in far enough! Well, it was a very cheap fix and of course I discovered some material that I "had to have" so hopefully he got as good a deal as I had. Thank heaven for an owner who can fix machines!

Power Poster
    Sounds like a happy day for you.

Cheering the happy ending! yay!

Alison

If you want to try fixing it yourself, join the wefixit yahoo group. Nice and helpful folks who repair sewing machines.

Pam

Well I am so glad it was an easy fix. I was afraid your only machine was really sick! Glad you can finish your project. Want to see what you make from the fabric you bought....lol.
    Linda

I'm glad you got her fixed.

Blog Entries
    Yay! An easy and inexpensive fix! I'm glad you're back up and running, and hopefully with time left to finish your gift!

No, I didn't have time to finish the gift. But I was so elated that I didn't mind. Now to finish a quilt and the topper. The material was a beautiful black with metallic swirls so light and delicate. I can't wait to work it into the project I have in mind. I am still looking for the perfect setting for it. Have something in mind, but only time will tell if it was a good idea or not. Thanks for the empathy. I just feel so dumb! I had practically torn the doggoned thing apart looking for the problem and it was the needle not in far enough. Oh well, I got some fabric that was just perfect! and the machine fixed as well.

Clover makes a nice round ended awl (with the blue handle). I use that to hold seams. If I ever hit it, it wouldn't be much worse than going over a pin. It's also short enough to fit in my hand easily. I am more likely to be found with it in my right hand when sewing than not. Glad to hear your problem wasn't serious!
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Yay for the repair being so easy. I don't get to sew every day but I feel right just knowing my baby is where she belongs- on my table, waiting for me.

Have a great time!

Power Poster
    ​Huge sigh of relief for you! I am glad your baby is feeling better.

Blog Entries
    Good news! It made me feel good and I had nothing to do with it. LOL
    Got fabric?

I'm happy for you! I have my mom's old Elna Super 62C and just love that old gal. It would break my heart if anything ever happened that couldn't be fixed. There's a vintage Elna yahoo group you might find helpful. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elnahe...ewingmachines/

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    I'm happy for you! I have my mom's old Elna Super 62C and just love that old gal. It would break my heart if anything ever happened that couldn't be fixed. There's a vintage Elna yahoo group you might find helpful. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elnahe...ewingmachines/
    Thank you. I have never heard of that site. The repairman/owner said that the Elna Super is a very good machine. One of the best made so it must be a workhorse. A vintage machine????Guess that makes me vintage as well!

WooHoo, glad you got her fixed! I hate being without my machine, even just for a couple days when I get it serviced!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
    Well, here I am with egg on my face! I am reminded of the verse, "Weeping lasts for a night, but joy comes in the morning." Well, joy did come. I took it to the LQS in Ottumwa, Iowa. There a very kind owner looked at my machine and lo and behold, I didn't have the crazy needle far enough up in the shank! Now I have changed probably thousands of needles, even took this one out, turned it around to be sure I had it in properly, re-read the needle package to be sure I had the right ones, etc., etc., but he said that sometimes in older machines lint
    accumulates and it is hard to get them in far enough! Well, it was a very cheap fix and of course I discovered some material that I "had to have" so hopefully he got as good a deal as I had. Thank heaven for an owner who can fix machines!
    I am doing the happy dance for you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast