Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do buy quilt kits? >

Do buy quilt kits?

Do buy quilt kits?

Old 10-01-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by tnnslvr
I'm doing the Jinny Beyer Moon Glow kit through a BOM out of a shop in Texas. It's a skill building quilt for an intermediate quilter. So far I have three blocks completed and two in the "on deck circle". I get so excited when I get one finished, but need multiple hours to complete a block since I'm learning new techniques. I love the colors and would never have been able to pick them all out myself. Love it!
Oh, this is good to read! I've wanted that kit for a long time.

I'm usually not tempted by kits (knitting or quilting) but every now and then, there is a project that I know I could never improve upon myself.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by atbquilts
Kits! As the owner of a small quilt shop that specializes in kits, I have often wondered how quilters felt about the pricing etc. I would love to know the answer to this question...Would you rather buy a kit with just the amount of fabric needed (which of course keeps the price down) or would you rather pay a bit more (perhaps 10%)to have a pad for mistakes or a bonus for your stash? Any one have an opinion?
I'd rather pay 10% more for the peace of mind/stash building option.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 AM

Want some extra!!! I hate when, for whatever reason, I run out of thread (needlework kits), or fabric. Maybe I cut it wrong, a small mistake can quickly turn into a big one if there is not a bit of extra included.
Originally Posted by atbquilts
Thanks to those of you that have weighed in on the 'kits with just enough fabric vs kits with a little pad.' By my count there are 3 that would prefer a little extra fabric in the kit and 1 that would rather have just enough to keep the price down. Any more opinions out there?