Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do buy quilt kits? >

Do buy quilt kits?

Do buy quilt kits?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2
Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
I don't understand all the negative comments about kits.

First of all, who would buy a kit when they didn't love the fabrics/colors involved? When a quilt shop takes the time to select a pattern and then select beautiful fabrics (that I love) why not buy the kit? I understand the reasons for not buying from large on-line retailers but don't see how my creativity is stiffled(?) by using a one or two of a kind kit any more than it is by using Jelly Rolls, packets, etc.

Those who have complained about the size of the finished project obviously didn't read the information before buying.

I certainly don't want to argue, but feel that some of the comments have implied that anyone who uses a kit is lacking in creativity. This is simply not so -- kits have their place and I see nothing wrong with using them!
I agree with you. I also do not think I will see my quilt all over. Maybe it is because I don't go to that many quilters homes. I find that I use the patterns in the kits many times - using my selection of fabrics the second or third time around. Last year I bought a table runner pattern. Fabrics were nice and figured if I didn't want that one I could gift it, but I have used the pattern at least a dozen times. Well worth the money!
Oh goody -- glad to hear that you too re-use the kit pattern.

I just don't get the negativity. We've all used commercial patterns; copied exactly from a magazine; tried to copy a quilt we saw at a quilt show, etc. etc. Using a kit simply saves time and generally money. Re-using the pattern is a great way to really get your money's worth!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 AM

Yes, always buy kits. I know that I will get everything I will need for the quilt and in one package. I saves me time in the quilt shop, and always saves me money as I usually purchased extra fabric just in case I might need it and very rarely ever used it, as it still sits on the fabric shelves. If anyone is looking for a specific fabric PM me and chances are I might have some in my stash. I LOVE KITS!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:57 AM

I buy kits every now and again. I love it when Connecting Threads has them in clearance. You can't beat those prices!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I haven't yet, but the LQS hand cuts quilt kits and sells them. I might go that route one time, if I saw one I just LOVED. It's expensive, but convenient...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

My friend just spent around $100 for the kit to do a Dr. Seuss quilt, and that was only lap sized, and no fabric for backing or binding, no batting. Pretty pricey but she loved the fabrics.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Yes, I do. Especially if they are in my color wave.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:23 PM

one of the shops on the hop puts together a kit for all the quilts they display.. i've bought a couple & they were great.. just ordered a couple block of the month... will be interesting to see how they work out.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:41 PM

I do both!
Originally Posted by prairiequeen
I started to quilt back in the 90's,at that time I bought nothing but yardage.The last few years I have went more to kits.I like that I don't waste time or money looking for fabric ,buying more then I need,or buying to pieces because iam not sure which one I want,and iam ready to cut and sew right aways.And Lord knows I don't need more scraps.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:41 PM

I enjoy kits for many reasons, although I also design my own quilts. Where I live, there are no LQSs, so if I can find a kitted pattern I really like with fabric I really like, then I'll buy it. It saves me time, gives me access to fabrics I may never otherwise see and provides me with everything I need in one fell swoop.

There are several ebay sellers who create very nice kits with precut fabric for log cabins or kaleidoscopes, for example. I've purchased them and had great fun making them. I would never have had the patience or the fabric necessary to cut a kaleidoscope myself.

I too often reuse a kit pattern, and have sometimes found that there is enough fabric left over to make a second, simpler quilt (with a little help from my stash), so that too is a plus.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
With a kit if I error, which i often do, there's no way to just cut more.

I have never bought a kit for this reason. However, I came very close to buying a beautiful batik kit in Nashville, TN when visiting. It was quite pricey at the time. I could kick myself now for not getting it!!! :cry: