Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do buy quilt kits? >

Do buy quilt kits?

Do buy quilt kits?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM

I don't buy quilt kit I usually design my own and pick my own fabric.
Glenn
Old 09-29-2011, 02:35 PM

I like kits. No decisions, only scraps left, save on gas and my blood pressure.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM

I have, but I usually put my kits together. I find the pattern and then buy the fabric, throw it all together and hopefully make it sometime. I've got a few that may be somewhere between 5-7 years old....waiting.....
Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM

I have bought quit kits amd have found that if it is a designer kit of their fabric they use every fabric in the whole quilt. After having gone through a couple of them and I had enough left over that I just needed to buy a little more fabric to make a simpler quit from the .I don't do kits any more.
I did one last year that was for a man and had enough left over to just buy the panel and a little more of one fabric to make a quilt I liked even better and it was a simpler patterm as it wasn't based using every fabric in that designers line.
I actually ended up with two quilts and one throw.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by GrannyFitz4
I bought a kit from Fons & Porter on line. When it arrived, it had no pattern. I called their customer service and was told that I had to buy a certain magazine. I had bought kits from Nancy's and they had patterns. Customer service said that they would send me the pattern. They sent me the magazine. It seems the magazine has the pattern and you order the kit. The magazine cost 6.99. This would have added to the cost of the kit. I wonder if this happened to others.
I notice that Fons and Porter (and other quilting magazine that sells kits) do this. I have stopped short of buying the kit on many occasions because I have to buy the magazine also!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 PM

I've bought two kits. One of them was a very good price, actually, it probably wasn't a kit, per se, since if you bought one of several fat quarter sets, you got the pattern for free. I liked it because it went together quickly and I learned a few new techniques with it. The other kit I have is still sitting here - it's more an art quilt setting of a desert scene. Eventually, it will get done.

Otherwise, I agree with one of the other posters - I don't want to seem my quilt all over the place. I prefer to do my own thing.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by atbquilts
Kits! As the owner of a small quilt shop that specializes in kits, I have often wondered how quilters felt about the pricing etc. I would love to know the answer to this question...Would you rather buy a kit with just the amount of fabric needed (which of course keeps the price down) or would you rather pay a bit more (perhaps 10%)to have a pad for mistakes or a bonus for your stash? Any one have an opinion?
Love it when a kit contains a tad extra and am more than willing to pay for the extra. I LOVE kits that are individually put together by the quilt shop. Have never been disappointed!!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM

I buy the kits at time, but seems like I always change the pattern and the fabric in it. Seem to like my own selections better. Plus don't want to see my quilt everywhere. Like to be unique.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Vat

No, never! ! ! I like to pick my own colors.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I have only purchased one quilt kit and it is still in my UFO pile ready to be sewn. Someday soon, I hope after I get a little further down on my Roundtoit List to finish.