Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you always wash you quilts?

Do you always wash your quilts before you give them away? I'm still pretty new and have only done a couple, but so far I' haven't washed them. Do you?

Yes. They are all washed before they go out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Yes. They are all washed before they go out the door.
    Ditto :-)

I have dogs therefore I have dog hair and dust in my house. Need I say more? LOL

i only wash quilts that will be washed in their future.

i mainly make art quilts with many types of embellishments and these are never meant to be put in the washing machine.

if a customer wants a quilt for bedding purposes those are always washed first before handing over to the owner.

I always wash mine first because I always have at least one seam that needs to be repaired after that 1st wash (usually in the borders too!! you'd think I could sew one straight piece of fabric to another by now!). and washing and shrinking helps hide some of my minor oopses

YES!!! if anything goes wrong- like a seam comes loose-or a fabric bleed or anything else i want to know- and be able to fix it before it goes to anyone else--- it can be very devestating for the recipient to be the first one to wash their quilt and something happen to it....has been known to really hurt feelings/family relationships

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know we just had this conversation earlier this week..but I can not find my post..

the majority said YES....especially if you have a smoker in the same block as you, you have any kind of animals in the house...etc...

Since I prewash my fabrics before making the quilt, I generally do not worry about washing it again before it leaves the house...depends on how much handling it gets!

If I do wash it, I make sure the recipient knows that..and does not wash it again!

If I don't wash it, I let them know that as well!

Blog Entries
    Yes.....I like to see them all crinkly.....other way reminds me of an old stuffed shirt...too stiff!!!!! lol

Yes - I wash it in the machine with regular detergent, some color catchers, and cold water, then dry in drier, just as a recipient would. I figure if it takes special care, it reduces the possibility that they would actually use it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast