Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you buy quilt kits??

I love to buy kits. If I really like the fabric it is in, I buy. I also do patterns and buy my own fabric. But I have nothing against letting someone else pick fabric for me.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

I've bought two kits in 20+ years of quilting. One is (hopefully) being removed from the UFO list during Sandy. It is a Storm at Sea design with Jinny Beyer fabric. The other was removed from the UFO list earlier this year. Honestly, I have no idea when or why I bought it!! But done it is--

I do both. If I really like the quilt colors in the kit will buy it although I found that the colors in magazines are not always true. I sent one kit back because of that problem.

I had never until July. Then I bought several at an estate sale. I don't plan to make them as sold but the price was right. I also bought one because I didn't want to find 35 fabrics at about the same time.

I love kits. I also love bundles - that sometimes come with patterns and sometimes do not. My LQS will pull 5 fabrics for Take 5 or other five yard patterns and sell them as a bundle. I know the owner has a better eye - a more creative eye - than I do. I love to take advantage of her ability to pull things together. When I do put my own together there I get her advice as I go so ... might as well have her do the whole thing once in a while. When I have a lot of projects to do - for a bazaar perhaps - I get my daughter to go fabric shopping with me. She has a great eye, also. I simply don't. I tend to be very Matchy-Matchy.
    So many quilts, so little time.

I haver bought new kits one time. I had to have the fabrics in it. The kits consisted of 8 FQ.I buy used kits if they are nice quality like Moda and have fabrics from a certain line like a jelly roll and extra yardage.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    One of my first quilts was a kit...a Stonehenge wall quilt using their fabrics. I was looking for earth tones with texture and their fabrics just fit the bill, and I loved the pattern. There was plenty of fabric (for what I call the "oops factor"), and had some scraps left over that I used in another project. I think it's just a matter of liking the fabric in a kit well enough...if they are the colors/prints you had in mind in the first place, then there's nothing wrong with purchasing a kit. The majority of the time I choose the fabric myself, though.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Blog Entries
    Did when I started. Found it a great way to learn. I may buy patterns now, but not kits. Welcome!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

If I see something that I absolutely love I'll buy a kit if available. Sometimes I'll buy them on sale if I love the fabric at that value and might use it for something else. It is sometimes hard for me to decide when I see an attractive quilt if it's the pattern I'm drawn to or the fabrics or both. Usually it's the fabrics!

I've never bought a kit- they seem so expensive to me and I'm so new to quilting that I'm afraid I won't cut it right and end up with too little fabric to finish the project. I like to pick my own colors and fabrics. But I have to admit that I've gotten some ideas for future projects by looking at the pictures on kits
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast