Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a price limit? >

Do you have a price limit?

Do you have a price limit?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:49 PM

I've always been a frugal shopper for everything we use, so I stick to sales, discount stores, on-line specials, coupons, etc. However, if I see a fabric that I really, really want the sky's the limit. I'll figure a way to pay for it, although I will "stalk" it until it goes on sale if it's over $9.00 a yard.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM

The highest I've paid for a yard of fabric is $10,and that was for a quilt for my FIL,if he knew how much money was in that quilt he would be afraid to use it,so the price stays between me and hubby.That being said I usually try to stay below $5 a yard then I don't have to feel too guilty about the huge stash that has made me take the sewing machine out of the sewing room so that I can actually sew.I've been very lucky finding good deals at yard sales and second hand stores also.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM

I have bought some fabrics up to 15 a half yard but that was out of love of the fabric and it was a special fabric and then there are times I cant see paying more then 8 a yard. So it depends on the project and what is really needed and what is available. I do try to stay in the price range of $7 - 10 a yard. With the new prices on Batiks it is getting really hard and I have fallen in love with their usage.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM

I have a pretty extensive stash and am only buying fabric now that I need to go with something I am making from my stash. Most of my fabric is in the $9-$10 range. That is the basic price at my LQS and they rarely have sales. I have bought a lot of fabric on line and really don't have a problem with the shipping. When you consider that it is about 12-15 miles to my LQS or JoAnn's the gas offsets part of that, but the real kicker is that both of those stores are way too close to Starbucks and the cost of the Grande Mocha Latte added to the gas is way more than the shipping. Besides, I like getting the squishies in the mail. I steer clear if the less expensive fabric unless it is good quality fabric on sale. I have just never been happy with the results with the cheaper fabric. But like one of the other posters, if I only need a small amount and absolutely loved it, I would probably go up to $15-$20.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Most of my fabrics come from my LQS but they often have sales and I do take advantage of them. I try to stay under $10 a yard (before the sales price) but like others, if it is really a heart beater, then I might have to buy just one yard.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 PM

Yes I have a limit unless it is for batting. I refuse to pay over 3.00 a yard for material that is just to add to stash.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 PM

These days I wait until the fabric goes on sale at 40% off; better if it goes to red tag and I take advantage of the half-off red tag price sales which happen 3 or 4 times a year. Can't afford the LQS prices, but if it's something I know I won't find anyplace else, I'll spring for the $10/yd.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by JackieG
These days I wait until the fabric goes on sale at 40% off; better if it goes to red tag and I take advantage of the half-off red tag price sales which happen 3 or 4 times a year. Can't afford the LQS prices, but if it's something I know I won't find anyplace else, I'll spring for the $10/yd.
Yes that is how I am able to limit what I spend. I just was able to get several nice pieces for 1.50 and 3.00 a yard thanks to the half-off red tag sale. I would spend more if what I have to have is not ever going to be on sale or if I cannot get it 40 to 50% off
Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM

In Australia quilt shop fabric is about $28+ per metre (39") Earlier this year I paid $65 for 8 fat quarters for a project. Since then I have been purchasing online from the US at about $US8.50 compared to $AU28 for the same fabric. I intend to shop this way for the majority of my fabric now and from what I have found online would probably limit to about $10 p.y.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 PM

I'm not sure what my actual upper limit is, but when I look at a price and say, "What!! That's ridiculous!!", I know it is over my upper limit. I've always been a conservative when it comes to money. I like decent fabric, but I rarely shop the only LQS, because I can't see spending $9 or $10 per yd. I shop JoAnns, Hobby Lobby and online for most of my fabric. I like Connecting Threads and have bought several of their kits..usually when they finally go on sale. I also watch for estate and garage sales that advertise fabric.