Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you label your quilts? >

Do you label your quilts?

Do you label your quilts?

Old 04-13-2014, 02:26 PM

It is so sad, those of you who do not label. It is so easy with a pigma pen to add your name, city and a date. You think that your quilts aren't important, but they are. Sad that those quilts made 100 years ago had the same view, and now we will never know their story, who made them, and why. Was this quilt a loving gift for a newly wed couple, or for the birth of a wanted grandchild? Was it made to comfort one who was ill, or to warm a beloved family member? Wouldn't it be wonderful if that old quilt found in a thrift store had a provenance? I think so. I label all my quilts. They just are not complete until the label is on. Gift or charity, show entry or for my own bed, all get their story in those few words - made for whom, made by me, in my city, in this year.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM

I label my baby quilts something like this: Made especially for, then the full baby's name, then their birthday by Aunt Tish or whatever relation I am to them, my town. But of course the birthday isn't possible if it is a shower gift. I use fusible and write in permanent ink on the label in my own handwriting then stitch the label down after it is fused.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 PM

I label all my quilts with the name/title of the quilt, the date completed, my name, where made (city & state - just in case one of my quilts ever becomes part of a state project...), and if it is a gift, who it was made for and the occasion.

I also keep a quilt "diary" of the quilts I make, what inspired me to make that actual quilt, pattern used, credit to author or designer of original pattern (if not one of my own), my thoughts while I was making the quilt, who it was made for and for what occasion and any problems encountered in the making of the quilt. I also include a photo of my finished quilt. This way I have a record of every quilt I make.

Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 04-13-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM

On my larger quilts I make a triangle label, I fold a square in half diagonally, then when I sew my binding on I place the triangle so the two sides match the corner and it gets sewn in place. Then when I hand stitch the binding to the back I make sure to also tack down the diagonal part of the label.

By doing this I ensure that the label should last as long as the quilt.

On smaller quilts I make a rectangle instead but still ensure that two sides are sewn in the binding.
Attached Thumbnails 005-7-1.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 PM

I have not used labels but think it is a great idea to do so.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Oh boy, I sure do!! I have heard many stories here, when folks find one in a garage sale or something, and wish that someone had labeled it.

My labels are cut at 6 x 9 inches. I put the number I gave it, the name, why I made it, who I gave it to, the date that it was finished, my name, and town, and state that I live in. I like for family in the future to have this information.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:11 PM

If you ask 100 quilters, you'll get 100 different answers! I put basic info. Made with love for Jane Smith by Aunt Carol Smith, April 2014. If it's for a shower gift, you could put Made with love for a special baby April 2014.

I have 5 antique quilts that I wish had at least initials and a year somewhere on them. I think my G-Gma made them, but not 100% sure. Initials would have been helpful.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:50 PM

I think I've only labeled one. And the 'label' on that one was just a hand written message with a permanent pen on the back of the quilt. I don't make what I consider to be 'heirlooms'. I'm assuming they will last for a number or years but also assuming those recipients can pass on the info to others when/if the time comes.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:31 PM

i do. i cross stitch them with the name of the quilt, which is sometimes inspired by the person, the context or the quilt itself. i'll inscribe the person it is for, and my own name and the year it was finished. sometimes i'll put a picture on it, sometimes just words. the size depends on the above. it's kind of the last lovely touch for me to truly finish it. here's one

aileen
Attached Thumbnails label.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

aileen, love your label, I too do some of mine counted x st.
I love the way they turn out and putting pics on them too.
I can get fancy with the borders or the stitching of the letters.