Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting problems >

quilting problems

quilting problems

Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Default quilting problems

Hello, I am quilting a lap quilt. The top thread tension looks fine, but when I turn the quilt over, the bottom thread is a mess! I think the tension must be too loose because I can easily pull the thread. I have changed out the thread, the bobbin, the needed, adjusted the tension spool and thread length. Sometimes the quilted portion is good, others, all a mess. I need some suggestions on how to correct this problem. I used to tie my quilts, but I think the quilting looks so much better. thanks for any suggestions!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 PM

Are your feed dogs down....is your presser foot lever down....First 2 things that came to mind.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 PM

I've found that tension issues are mostly solved through the process of elimination.

Some things to check would be to use the same weight of thread in the top as in the bobbin, unless you're quilting with .004 invisible nylon thread. Nylon is not recommended for use in a bobbin.

Also, make sure the size needle you're using is compatible with the weight of thread you're quilting with. Example: If you have a very fine thread passing through a size 90 needle, that could be tripping you up.

Try checking the tension on your bobbin. Most bobbin cases have a little screw you turn like you would if you were setting the hands on a clock. Reset both your top and bobbin tension back to normal and see what happens when you adjust the screw, making note of where you start, e.g., 2:00.

Also, make sure the top thread is firmly in place between the tension discs--threading errors are often to blame for tension problems.

And finally, check to make sure there's not an excessive amount of lint inside your machine.

The only other thing I can think of is to make certain the quilt is fully supported behind the machine, to the left of the machine as well as the portion in front of the needle. The quilt's weight can pull and cause stress on the portion that is trying to pass under the needle.

Good luck to you!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

What machine are you using?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 PM

As TerriD said concerning the tension discs, also check that your presser foot is up when you are threading- not in it's highest position but up as when you finish a seam and lift the foot to release the fabric. When you put the thread through the discs and pull there should be a slight resistance. My machine maintenance magician (and he really is!) taught me about all this when I was having bobbin thread issues.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Ditto to Prism's question. Are we talking longarm or DSM?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 PM

I would undo everything and begin again retreading top and bottom and check all setting. Practise on identical fabric scrap to project.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

when starting out with FMQ, it's really best to do lots of practice pieces before starting a 'real' project. This way you can work out tension issues and develop your rhythm. If the back is a mess, this normally means that the top tension is off. You need to verify that you are threading the machine correctly. Make sure that the presser foot is lowered. And if the straight areas of quilting are OK, but you are getting loops on the curves, you are moving the fabric too fast! Remember, slow hands, fast feet, in other words, move the quilt slowly, but run the machine at high speed.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:01 AM

I agree with Dotty, start the threading process all over and take your time making sure everything is correct as you go.

Every now and then this happens with my brother and 9 out of 10 times it's because my bobbin is in backwards. An older machine i had years ago didn't care which way the bobbin went in but this machine gets quite upset if you change things.

I also have to test the bobbin tension each time by dangling it and giving it a tug like a yo-yo. If the thread slides more than an inch to an inch and half, it will sound like a monster while i'm sewing. Any tighter and it won't go. I've seen where some people say it should drop farther but i know each machine has it's own sweet spot.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have a Singer, and the bobbin case does not have the screw adjustment. Also, there is no way to lower the feed dogs, so I wonder if I should try to purchase a more modern machine. I will try the suggestions, and hopefully, have better luck today. Thanks so much for the help!