Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you machine quilt your own work? >

Do you machine quilt your own work?

Do you machine quilt your own work?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Default Do you machine quilt your own work?

If so, what is the best machine--Bernina, etc. My DD is wanting to start machine quilting her own work, needs a new machine but doesn't have any idea which machine is best for free motion quilting. Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I quilt my own on a dinky mechanical basic Brother that I can do FMQ on. I also have a vintage Elnita that has a vertical bobbin and drops feed dogs so sometimes I use that one. I don't notice much of a difference.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 PM

I do my quilting on a n 11 year old Bernina. I did add the Bernina Stitch Regulator that really helps me with free motion quilting. Bernina's are expensive so if cost is a factor, you could find a more inexpensive machine that would do well with lots of practice. Even with the BSR, I had to practice quite a bit. A walking foot makes stitching in the ditch easy. Actually, I do lots of curved stitching with my walking foot. Best wishes with your decision.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

any machine with a nice even straight stitch and feed dogs that will drop works just fine for quilting your own- you do not need alot of bells & whistles- a walking foot for stitch in the ditch and a hopping (free motion) foot for free motion quilting.
i have a 10 year old viking and am presently quilting a queen size quilt on it. i do have a long arm but sometimes i do use my domestic- especially for alot of detail- i've quilted a couple small quilts (twins) on my 1956 singer straight stitch machine.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 PM

1956 Singer 301 is my FMQ choice. Little AnnieRose does a great job.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM

I agree with what has been said! I actually have a Janome Horizon and I do love it, but you don't need a high end machine to do lovely work. I really believe it is about learning how and much practice. Consider your budget and then start looking for a machine that fits you!
Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

Ditto to what JillNJo says .. the machine isn't the issue, so much as practice practice practice!

I tried it on my previous machines, but never really focused on it. I now have a Janome 6600 that I am doing it with ... is it any better? I doubt it, just that now I am "ready" to focus more towards doing it.

So I think your answer is more so of looking at what features your DD might need as to what machine might be best for her to choose.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 PM

A good straight stitch, decent throat space, an adequate area of flat space, good light and practice, practice, practice are the most important tools.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I have seen amazing FMQ on a lot of different brands. I really think it is the person running the machine that counts. I bought a Bernina for the stitch regulator and it has helped me to avoid the micro stitches I used to get. Any of the good main brands will give you a good place to start and you will have to decide what features are a "must have" before deciding. Mine were the BSR, good buttonhole stitch, needle up/down button, feed dogs that drop, walking foot and an excellent dealer and warranty. If you have good support and classes from your dealer, there is no reason why you can't do excellent FMQ with practice.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

There's been some pretty amazing FMQing done on Featherweights and shown here on the Board!