Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

I was wondering who washes their quilts when they are just finished? Why do you do it or why don't you do it?

Yes. Especially since i like the wrinkled vintagy look
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

I don't because there are so many allergies. I can NOT use TIDE, I break out. A family member is allergic to fabric softner. So I let the person getting the quilt wash it with their own soap and stuff.

I do wash them because I like the crinkly look, I have heard their are lots of harsh chemicals in the fabric and most of all I do not want them to bleed so I wash them with the color catchers.

I use starch while sewing, so one reason I always wash a new quilt is to get the starch out.

I don't wash mine. I like the look of the just completed quilt. When I do have to wash it, I do like that look too.

Blog Entries
    If i use fusible batting or fusible spray basting i do soak and spin out and soak again and spin out. just to get rid of the fusible. then toss in the dryer to get rid of wrinkles.
    allergies- when i moved to Colorado, it's so dry here that my itching got ten times worse. i started using Cheer Free and now use Tide that has no perfumes or dyes. helped my itching a ton!!
    i forgot one day and got out an older pair of jeans and wore them. i got welts on my legs!! took them off, got in the shower and put lotion on my legs and washed those jeans!!
    Last edited by nativetexan; 01-02-2012 at 09:33 AM.

I always wash a finished quilt....it washes out any starch, chemicals, stitching marks, oils from my hands ....it also may help to show any areas that need attention such as seams coming unsewn, threads to be clipped, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I always wash a finished quilt....it washes out any starch, chemicals, stitching marks, oils from my hands ....it also may help to show any areas that need attention such as seams coming unsewn, threads to be clipped, etc.
    Ditto. Buckeye Rose stated every reason I wash a quilt. Plus, I like the crinkly look.

Blog Entries
    My husband and I both smoke and we have a sometimes cat so I always wash my quilts. I have never had anything come undone but feel it is good to check. I always prewash the fabric (except jelly rolls).
    Cherylsea

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast