Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anybody use Jodi Barrows' square in a square method? >

Does anybody use Jodi Barrows' square in a square method?

Does anybody use Jodi Barrows' square in a square method?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM

Default Does anybody use Jodi Barrows' square in a square method?

She is giving a lecture and trunk show at my LQS, and I might like to go, but its 3 hours, which is a large time investment, and I just wonder if its worth it-
Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 AM

Well..... I did buy the ruler & tried to make a cushion years ago..... I ended up cutting the tips off, The big drawback with her method is the outside edge ends up being bias. I watched her videos on Kaye Wood a long time ago, don't know if they're still available to watch.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 PM

I have one of her books and her ruler. I think outside of the bias edges it is a waste of fabric. BUT it is good for people who don't like to cut triangles and other weird shapes and don't mind some fabric waste.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:45 PM

I strongly encourage you to attend her trunk show. I have her rulers, both small and large, and have have really used them a lot. I esp like the 1/4" measure for trimming without cutting off points so that your flying geese or whatever come out just right. though, truth to tell, I don't use her methods as much as the ruler.

Take you camera or phone to take pictures. The 3 hours will go by quickly.

I have seen her multiple times and she only gets better. This year I took a quilting buddy and she loved it. We made a day of it with lunch out and quilt shop browsing too. We made it fun.

She does have some tutes on the net, so you can sorta see what her methods are.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Yes, gooooooooo! If you learn how to do her methods correctly you will love them. I never have had the opportunity to hear her in person, but have taken classes from one of her certified teachers. Once I got the hang of her methods I use them all the time. Take a chance and go. Then let me know how much you enjoyed it.

Kat
Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I would never pass up the opportunity to learn a new quilting technique from a good quilt instructor.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

I have never heard of her so I will do a search to check it out. Thanks
peace
Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 AM

I was at her 1 hour trunk show yesterday in the Rio Grande Valley and it was interesting. She did a workshop on Friday that I did not get to go to. If you go take LOTS of money if you intend buying her rulers, books, and fabric. She offered us a set of her rulers for $100. I don't take that kind of money with me so I didn't have to think about it at all!!! She did have some fabric for sale at good prices. It looked to me like her things are beautiful but it takes more than one ruler to make a quilt. If it is not to $$ it would be worth it to see how she does thinkgs.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Default SNS Ruler

I just found this post. I know it is old. But if any of you are still following, I have put in my two cents.
Most certainly go! if you get the chance. First, there is nothing boring about the lectures. Jodi is a great speaker. Second, you do not need a bunch of rulers. The main ruler comes in two sizes. They work the same. It is individual preference only. She offers two other "convenience rulers" for the 4-patch and 9-patch. These rulers take the human eliminate factor out of making an error. If you have not mastered the traditional method of making the 4 and 9 patch, you will love using these two rulers.
Third, get over the bias! If you are warping your blocks, you are man-handling it. You will be sewing these bias edges to each other, anyway.

Remember ladies, if you are a traditional long time quilter, change is always hard to deal with. There is not a right way or a wrong way of any method of quilting. This method is meant to get your quilts made quickly and not get discouraged. Yes, you may use a little more fabric. Think about how much fabric you waste because you never finish your project!

Blunted tips prior to piecing is not a bad thing. If the blunt is a quarter of an inch, this means your surround strip was too narrow in the first place. If you have an 1/8 inch blunt, no harm. You will make your seam allowance.

Pointed tips in your sewn blocks will be perfect. If they are not, you need to practice your quarter in seam allowance. Many times, you may be using the wrong foot. The quarter inch foot with the metal guide does not work using this method. Most machines will have one that you can purchase with out it. There are also many guide line tools available to help you maintain that quarter of an inch. Only three things can be wrong, measuring, cutting, or sewing.

In Texas, there are many "Certified SNS Instructors" Jodi's website can provide you with one in your area. They are all credentialed by Jodi Barrows. There are videos current and up to date on her website.

Give it another chance. Dust those rulers off, pull them out of the drawer, and find you an instructor or watch her videos. You will catch on and will have a "V8 moment"

Last edited by Crescent Moon Quilts; 03-18-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Hi there
believe me, it is soooo worth it. I've been using this method for several years and the joy of quilting has returned to me. I have made quilts using this method that I would never have attempted otherwise that have come out so beautifully. Perfect points, blocks that actually end up the size they are supposed to......it's a miracle. I don't know how she ever figured all this out but I am one quilter who is really glad she did. Good luck!