Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows???????? >

Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows????????

Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows????????

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM

Default Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows????????

Has anyone bought her book and template? A friend of mine bought one and I really like the technique, but I'll be darned if we could match up corner blocks with flying geese. We double checked our cuts and after sewing the strips around the square, we cut exactly as explained using the 90 degree. Are we missing something or doing something wrong? Any advice sure would be welcomed...and thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I had her book and ruler but never did figure out how to use it. I loaned it to a friend and so far haven't bothered to ask for it back. I think she is leaving something out in the videos I've watched. My blocks never came out right.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I had never heard of this technique, but I just watched one of the videos. Wow - seems like a huge waste of fabric! I would guess that it would work okay though, but the trick would be starting with the right size center squares and strips. They would not necessarily be the same size for all the components of a block. I will stick with methods that don't throw away so much fabric. (Yes, I know you can supposedly use up those little pieces that you trim off - but I know I would just toss them.)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Onebyone, good to know that it's not just me....her measurements just don't match up. And dunster, you are right....it's a terrible waste of fabric. Thanks for the input.......I'm going to use the money for more fabric instead of the template and book (very expensive)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM

A member of the Board recently posted a picture and she used the ruler – it was excellent.
Link to Board picture:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t250500.html

Did you move the ruler over from the 90 degrees when making the flying geese like she explains in this video? Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMCx6cNOMhw
Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

For me, nothing beats Deb Tucker's square in a square ruler.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
A member of the Board recently posted a picture and she used the ruler – it was excellent.
Link to Board picture:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t250500.html

Did you move the ruler over from the 90 degrees when making the flying geese like she explains in this video? Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMCx6cNOMhw
The patriotic quilt was beautiful! Yes, we did the "texas 2 step" and double checked the measurements but the corner square still was shorter than the end of the flying geese. I'm going to stick to my Eleanor Burns flying geese ruler.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:40 PM

I just watched it and it just seems confusing and wasteful - I really don't have that much trouble with the blocks in the first place and I sure as heck don't want to relearn a different way.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
The patriotic quilt was beautiful! Yes, we did the "texas 2 step" and double checked the measurements but the corner square still was shorter than the end of the flying geese. I'm going to stick to my Eleanor Burns flying geese ruler.
Sometimes the 'old ways' are the best. Smart to use Eleanor's ruler. Maybe I'm thinking that because it's my 'go to' for the flying geese. LOL
Old 07-22-2014, 04:43 PM

One of my friends who is a former quilt shop owner and quilter told me once when I asked her about Jodi's book and technique said that the instructions are quite difficult to understand and follow. Sometimes the tried and true methods yield the best results. Sorry it didn't work out.